Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my 5-star average feedback....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 11

Reference https://www.upwork.com/blog/2015/08/job-success-score-update/, which reads in part:

"Is my 5-star average feedback going to be gone forever? ... Additionally, 5-star feedback given per contract will remain displayed on your Work History."

Regarding the phrase "feedback given per contract," that applies to feedback already given. Does it also apply to future feedback and 'star' ratings given per contract? Specifically, will feedback and 'star' ratings continue to be an option for clients to use when ending future contracts? Is that feature going to be completely discontinued?

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
2 of 11

Hi Ron, I just had a tiny project yesterday - started yesterday and finished the job in a few hours. The client left me feedback and stars, so this means they can still do that and it's still displayed on our profiles.

Otherwise, perfectly legitimate questions, and I'm curious when a mod answers them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 11

Hi Evelina, and thank you for the reply. By the way, you have a great profile. I also look forward to a reply from a Community Mod or Manager.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
4 of 11

Thanks, Ron! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 11

Hi Ron,

Yes, I can confirm that the 5-star feedback for individual contracts (past, active and future) will remain. Users will still be able to see the option to provide star feedback when the contract is ended and it will show in the Work Histories as long as there is at least $1 paid on the contract.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 11

Valeria, thank you very much for the clarification.

Until such time prospective clients get more familiar with Upwork and the JS score system, I find that the legacy feedback [testimonials] and ratings given on each oDesk / Upwork contract provide better results for marketing purposes when searching for new clients. The legacy feedback and ratings system made things readilly apparent in contrast to the new JS score system, which requires reading of other Web pages to learn more about.

Unfortunately, in my case although I refer new prospective clients to my Upwork profile they are reluctant to engage in contracts via Upwork due to known site functionality issues and frequent outages. I would  like to counter their fears by referencing large firms that are clients working via Upwork. Any suggestions?

I still would prefer to work via Upwork because it reduces my record keeping especially with regard to tax reporting. Still, I am also concerned with the known site functionality issues and frequent outages.

Hopefully, the new Status page will be improved to provide more insight into what is actually being done to eliminate those problems. Regarding the new Status page ( https://status.upwork.com/ ), I would like to see more information about existing unresolved problems in addition to resolved issues.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
7 of 11

I have to disagree with you on this. The 5-star rating doesn't provide enough fidelity. There are just too many people with 4+ stars overall for prospective clients to have any idea who is actually any better than anyone else. I also like that more factors are playing a role in our rating on the site, because there is more to the story than what the clients think about your performance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 11

Hi Aaron! Thank you for the reply -- Kudos. I do not disagree with you entirely. However, leveraging my oDesk (now Upwork) profile to promote my work as an independent contractor has been a successful strategy for me over the last few years. Unfortunately, it has resulted in more work off-Upwork than on-Upwork (all without any violation of the Upwork TOS). A lot of my past and present clients allow me to use them as references when I interview with new prospective clients. An Upwork freelancer profile page can serve as a good landing page when targeted from third-party sites.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 11

Apologies for opening this thread again with a different question on feedback. What is more I know it has been asked before and I can't find the thread.

Does a client see a freelancer's feedback before leaving his or hers on the job?

I have three 'ongoing' clients, who have paid for the work done, but have simply disappeared. Now I have to go cap-in-hand, and ask them to close the contract and to give me feedback. However, I am not impressed by this lack of communication, and have no intention of giving five stars for it. But if they see a low score from me, I am quite certain, I will get one in return.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 11

Hi Nichola,

No, the other party can't see the feedback you left for them until they leave their feedback.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS