joelive

Is my freelance career at upwork truly over?

Hey everyone,

How does one rebound from a low JSS as mine? Because I don't think mine is happening anytime soon. I mean it's been over 7 weeks since I last got interviewed for any project. 

Steps taken so far include

- Staying online 24/7, 

- Submitting over 50 proposals in less than 2 months.  

- Revised my overview thrice. 

- Changed my profile picture three times in 2 months.

- Lowered and increased my rates and budgets for jobs.

- Downloaded upwork's mobile app so that I can access upwork whenever I'm not close to my computer.

- Even though I hated Skype, I went ahead and created an account just in case I get invited to interview for a job that required video chatting.

- Took a couple of upwork tests.

I was hoping before the end of this summer I'd take the plunge by quitting my job and diving in full time. 

I sometimes troll this community and everytime I come across members talking about getting and declining invites, I get super jealous and all the more hopeless.

How much further is upwork willing to endure or accommodate, before I eventually get kicked out from the system. I'm not the type of person who gives up easily, but this is starting to wear my patience thin. It's as if no one bothers to read my proposal simply because of my 70% JSS. I even thought that by now I would have begun working on BIGGER projects, a lot more compelling and exciting, compared to the menial jobs I've successfully completed so far.

You guys should please evaluate my situation and tell me what you think I may have or may be doing wrong.

13 REPLIES 13

I guess it doesn't matter. My JSS is 33% and yet i still get interviews. Luck ain't might just not at your side at the moment. Cheers!

@Jorex D wrote:

My JSS is 33% and yet i still get interviews. 

Now I'm wondering what kind of interviews... 

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger

@Jorex D wrote:

I guess it doesn't matter. My JSS is 33% and yet i still get interviews. Luck ain't might just not at your side at the moment. Cheers!

Question for Upwork: how is this even possible? (I mean 33% JSS and still active).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rene,

Thanks for posting this question. Note that users with a similarly low Job Success Score, while being able to continue working on Upwork, won't have access to a full range of opportunities Upwork is offering until they improve their score.

Untitled

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Rene,

Thanks for posting this question. Note that users with a similarly low Job Success Score, while being able to continue working on Upwork, won't have access to a full range of opportunities Upwork is offering until they improve their score.

You're really cryptic Vlad 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Jonathan O wrote:

You guys should please evaluate my situation and tell me what you think I may have or may be doing wrong.

Hi Jonathan,

I'm really sorry for you, but if you are clueless about your mistakes, then I don't think freelancing is your thing. 

From your profile overview:

"I am highly skilled in delivering unique articles on time, while completely adhering to your specified guidelines and rules. I try as much as possible to write by keeping in mind the target audience's point of view at heart. This approach has yielded positive feedbacks with zero negative complements."

1) "I am highly skilled in delivering unique articles on time".

In your very first feedback, client clearly states that you missed the deadline

2) "[...] while completely adhering to your specified guidelines and rules"

In the second feedback, another client clearly states that he's not satisfied with your work, which he defines as not acceptable.

See my point here? You say that you deliver on time, and your first client says you don't. Then you say you follow the guidelines, but your second client says your work is not acceptable, and that makes me think you didn't follow the guidelines after all. I'm not surprised that you're not getting any interview. That being said, if you really think that freelancing is your world, I'm pretty sure you'll find your own way to the top. Good luck!

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
petra_r

Your problem is that you over-promise and under-deliver......

It is painfully obvious that English is not your native language, your English is good for general, everyday communication, but sounds translated (because it is) and like you are trying to use fancy phrases.

that approach can only lead to disappointed clients, because you led them to believe that they'll get top notch work from "a genius" and that is not, and can not be the case.

ailish_d

You say you have a third eye for grammatical mistakes and spelling etc, and yet I found three spelling mistakes on my first read-through. I suggest you completely re-write your profile, checking for mistakes, and remove the word 'genius' - I would imagine a prospective client would find that very off-putting.

Good luck.

tlsanders

Mass submission of proposals won't help you; in fact, it may put you in jeopardy of losing your account, if you just keep cranking out proposals without a response.

Your problem is that you are offering a service you are not qualified to deliver, selling yourself as an expert in English writing and proofreading although your writing is a sea of errors. 

"I am a writer and proofreading genius, I graduated with a CGPA of 4.67/5.00 in English from the university of Nigeria."

The above sentence (the first in your overview) is a run-on. That's an issue addressed in elementary school grammar. You have also failed to capitalize "University," making the claim in your first clause extremely ironic. 

"With an unrivalled knowledge in crafting exceptionally captivating articles and releases."

The above sentence is a fragment (covered in the same elementary school lesson as run-on sentences).

"Aside from been a writer, I equally have a vast experience with the hyper text markup language and working on wordpress sites is an easy endeavour."

That first clause should say "aside from being a writer." It would still be an awkward construction, but would be grammatically correct. You should say "vast experience," not "a vast experience," and the "the" before hyper text markup language is misplaced. 

This is just a small sample. I'm not picking on you, but pointing out that you can't expect success in a field where you lack core skills. Rather than desperately scrambling to get a better response on Upwork by giving up sleep and flooding the market with proposals, you should either be exploring a different field where your qualifications are stronger or honing your core writing skills. 

lysis10

who says thrice?

how are you not dead for staying up 24/7 on the Internet?

Not everybody is meant to be an Upwork freelancer.

That is okay!

Think about the people you admire most: The sports stars, the innovators, the company CEOs, the most talented actors, writers, singers, etc...

How many of them are Upwork freelancers? Probably none of them.

If you don't work as a freelancer on Upwork, you are in good company.

iaabraham

• Your claim of being a "proofreading genius" is immediately contradicted by the text following it. How can you expect clients to hire somebody who appears to be a (very bad) liar?
  • The exaggeration of your skills is outrageous. "Unrivalled" -- what a joke! There will always be someone better out there. This is especially true in your case.
  • Add some (relevant) portfolio pieces and take some more tests.

The only thing I am 'unrivalled' and 'genius' at....is talking nonsense.