cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is oDesk now judging the quality of profiles?

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
1 of 17

I'm seeing a lot of posts now where freelancers say they can't apply to jobs, and the response is that they need to fix up their profiles, for example, add more information about their skills.

Now it's great for mods to give advice on how to improve a profile, but should oDesk be preventing freelancers from applying to jobs  because oDesk decides (based on what criteria?) that the profile isn't up to par? Unless a profile is obscene or offensive or contains obvious spam, shouldn't it be up to clients to decide if a profile is good enough?

In the past, if freelancers weren't getting hired, they would come to the forum and ask why, and if their profiles could be improved, forum members would advise them on how to improve it.

But preventing freelancers from applying to jobs because Odesk  a mad robot thinks the profile needs improvement - that's going too far, I think.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
2 of 17

I personally love that they started doing it. A few years late, but better late than never. Quality freelancers will attract quality clients and vice versa so I think it's a win. It also cuts down on infrastructure cost (support etc.) and will create a better experience for all involved in my humble opinion. New users benefit from improving their profile and maximize their chance of getting hired, and freelancers without a skill set should probably not show up in the list of applicants because it's a time consuming pain to weed them out. 

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 17

Krisztina, my concern is that it is being done by an oDesk algorithm, and we know how well those work.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 17

Detecting that no skills or tests were added to a profile can be accomplished with a simple filter, and using stricter standards on new profiles is not necessarily a bad thing. I do hear you about the 'mad robot' point, but they gotta start somewhere. I have yet to see a forum post by a freelancers with a complete profile who got flagged. 

Edward V Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
5 of 17

Well algorithm may fail it depends how well this done by the programmer itself and we noticed most of the time that there's a maintenane going on at oDesk but instead of improving it caused harm than good to some users without noticing the the Engineers until the affected contractors raise up their concerns on their end. Most of the time they don't give solutions they give words that you typically hear from someone who make a sale. A repitition answer to think that before they give you an appropriate answer I knew already what they are going to say. We want solution not sounds sale pitch advice.

Like my account until now doesn't have Live Chat Support is that fair treatment? Of course even we appeal this to higher court of United States it is unfair treatment? In human legal basis we have a human act law to give rights for each and every human simply called human rights.

Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
6 of 17

Dear Marica,

Tell me please what does this message mean: "The two given tokens do not match"? Is this something new?

I can't apply to the job which is directly related to my skills and those skills are listed in the profile!

Furthermore, this job is a part of Engineering & Technical Design which is also a part of my profile. What's happening?

And I was invited by the client!

Do you know what should I do?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 17

Hi Tamaz,

The error you are getting is most likely a temporary technical issue and I am sorry about it. Could you please try appliying for the job using a different browser? If that still doesn't work please report this issue to Customer Support.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
8 of 17

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for update.

Was this issue already solved?

I'll try now again.

Thank you

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
9 of 17

Good point Marcia. We do have some basic elements we review when it comes to creating a profile and we expect all freelancers to have these. We'll work on preparing some material to explain this as this may help address some of your concerns.

Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
10 of 17

Hi Garnor,

Going back to Marcia's point, Except for skills related test and portfolio (even some can still be subjective) all the other items are subjective. Basically discriptions of what a Freelancer can Deliver.

Take my for example, I am first a on the ground facilitator and Sourcing from local materials to manufacturers.  So basically what can be seen in my profile are all history.  There is no test or a test be made available for my service.  

So where does that put me or other Freelancers similar to what I do?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS