cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Russian To English Translation Skills Test" broken ?

quality-quantity
Timosencov I Member Since: May 25, 2016
1 of 4

Hello. I've recently wondered: Why have I scored  5.0/5.0 in "EN to RU translation test", but 3.75 -- very bad -- in "RU to EN translation test" ?

Could the test be, sort of, broken ? 

Thank you for the support, Iura

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

I got a pretty high score in the Russian to English test, but I don't speak any Russian. The test only requires a good understanding of English. I'll make up an example with the help of Google translate.

1. What does the following mean in English...

кот сидел на коврике

A. Mat cat sat in the cat mat.

B. The troop of cats travelled through the mats.

C. The cat sat on the mat.

If it's the same the other way around, with the English to Russian text, then I'm guessing it could be passed by a Russian person that doesn't speak any English. So based on my experience of the test, unless you're perfectly fluent in English... as a Russian speaker, you're always going to score higher on the English to Russian one than the Russian to English one.

3.75 is pretty good though. I won't be getting that on the English to Russian test any time soon!    

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

View solution in original post

quality-quantity
Timosencov I Member Since: May 25, 2016
3 of 4

I see. Maybe you're right...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 4

@Timosencov I wrote:

Hello. I've recently wondered: Why have I scored  5.0/5.0 in "EN to RU translation test", but 3.75 -- very bad -- in "RU to EN translation test" ?

Could the test be, sort of, broken ? 

Thank you for the support, Iura

I don't know about the test Russian to English, but since you're not a native speaker of English, what is the point of taking the Russian to English test? You don't translate into English.

You may think you do, but then you're bound for disappointment. No professional translator translates to anything but their native language. If you try this, one day or another you will have your work proofread by a native speaker of English, and you'll get a disastrous rating.

See, I'm perfectly fluent in English. Yet, I have hired a French to English translator for my professional website. Why? Because I'm not a native-English speaker, and when I write in English, readers can tell. 

I have fixed many translations from non-native translators in my target language, often done by people like you who think they can make some extra money by offering symmetrical translations, and I can tell you, the result is horrible.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS