🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is "women's support" a good reason to give qu...
Page options
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Is "women's support" a good reason to give quality work for peanuts in return?

From time to time, I come in contact with prospective clients who, on the basis of being "women's-only" companies, expect a freelencer to provide quality work for peanuts.

Quite a bizarre way to intend women's support as, at least where I am based, women are usually less paid then men in ordinary companies and that's an issue.

I would expect that a company supportive of women would ensure a fair pay to other women, not the reverse.

Having come across this at least 3 or 4 times, I wonder whether this is a new, funny trend. 

What do you think? Have you come across that? 

5 REPLIES 5
geri_kol
Community Member

I have not come across this and if I did, I would find it extremely odd and hypocritical, too. In fact, I would immediately dismiss from consideration any client who claims that their business or project is "by women, for women" (or some version thereof) and uses that as a marketing shtick to rope in idealistic or naive freelancers while paying peanuts. 

I am old enough to remember when new online publications used to "hire" writers and offer to pay them in exposure. This is a slightly more sophisticated version of that.

Hypocritical and mean too: women taking advantage of other women. 

jr-translation
Community Member

Do you really have to ask? Hiring women is considered charity. Just tell these clients that you are paying higher rates to your female employees (yourself) and cannot afford to work for such low rates.

Thank you Jennifer, what I have asked is if anyone else has come across proposals along the same lines. I am curious to see if there's a new pattern there. And no, I haven't accepted to work for any such buffoon. But others did, I'm afraid. 

It is a common problem but nothing new.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members