🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is sharing an email for getting more info on ...
Page options
mozgiii
Community Member

Is sharing an email for getting more info on the project allowed before contract starts?

A client asked me to share my email to send me more details on the project. It is not clear if this is allowed according to the Upwork ToS - it is not for communication purposes, but it is not a system setup either.

Is it allowed under the Upwork ToS?

I have read through the ToS and https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051749534-Contact-Information-Sharing.

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Ask the client to send those via Upwork messages. There is no reason why the client would not be able to do so.

Mikhail N wrote:

A client asked me to share my email to send me more details on the project. It is not clear if this is allowed according to the Upwork ToS - it is not for communication purposes, but it is not a system setup either.

Of course "sending you more info about the project" is "communication!" - What else could it be called?

In other words, no, it is not allowed.

mozgiii
Community Member

My thinking as well. Are clients not aware of this?

I am concerned that me not sharing my email with the client while other freelancers (hypothetically) sharing it in violation of the ToS creates an unfair advantage. If such ToS violations go unnoticed and unpenalized of course.

dashas
Community Member

If you haven't signed a contract with your client yet, I would recommend keeping the conversation on Upwork.

I personally find it suspicios if the client tries taking it outside before signing the contract, Sharing details is more than possible as our messages section has all the perks... If larger files need to be shared, there's always the possibility of the client sending you a link to a drive folder...

Just politely explain that : It is recommended for us to keep all communication here before signing the contract' and that this assures protection and safety for both the freelancer and the client. If the client finds that unacceptable, probably a big red flag and time to let go.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members