Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is talking in Skype allowed in UpWork?

nifaladam
Ace Contributor
Nifal A Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
1 of 38

I was reading the Terms of Use today of UpWork and I have 2 doubts -

1) Its given in TOU that sharing or soliciting contact information such as email, phone number or Skype ID in a profile or job post is prohibited. 

But a lot of clients do ask for Skype interview and also communicate with freelancers via skype. I assume such skype contacts will be shared through upwork messages. Is sharing contact details in messages once a person is hired or having an interview considered to be in line with UpWork TOU? 

2) Lets say I complete a work for a client. Is it required that I should share the completed file to him through upwork or can i share it through skype itself?

Regards

Adam

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 38

Skype, Google Hanouts, personal email - whatever the method of communication it's not against the ToS. Use your best judgment. Don't give personal details like bank info (you'd be surprised how many people do), but you are free to use personal communication for interviews and certainly once a job is offered. Some people like to summarize or duplicate their off-platform communcation in the messages feature of Upwork so that there is an on-platform record, but many don't. 

As for deliverables for Upwork jobs, you can deliver however you choose. Again, some people like to deliver off-platform, but in the messages feature they summarize that the delivery was made at such and such a time using such and such a service. 

View solution in original post

b255b7a2
Vijay P Member Since: Dec 24, 2016
3 of 38

What if the system UpWork (Not Human moderator) deactivate or banned freelancer's account after sharing outside communication Skype, Google Hanouts, personal email?

@Melissa T wrote:

Skype, Google Hanouts, personal email - whatever the method of communication it's not against the ToS. Use your best judgment. Don't give personal details like bank info (you'd be surprised how many people do), but you are free to use personal communication for interviews and certainly once a job is offered. Some people like to summarize or duplicate their off-platform communcation in the messages feature of Upwork so that there is an on-platform record, but many don't. 

As for deliverables for Upwork jobs, you can deliver however you choose. Again, some people like to deliver off-platform, but in the messages feature they summarize that the delivery was made at such and such a time using such and such a service. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 38

@Vijay P wrote:

What if the system UpWork (Not Human moderator) deactivate or banned freelancer's account after sharing outside communication Skype, Google Hanouts, personal email?

That does not happen.

b255b7a2
5 of 38

Because it takes too much time to build and stand out new Freelancer account on UpWork and I am afraid of it. So I am saying "No" to share such things. This "No" may results in losing project but not account.

Thank you Mam

@Petra R wrote:

@Vijay P wrote:

That does not happen.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 38

@Vijay P wrote:

Because it takes too much time to build and stand out new Freelancer account on UpWork and I am afraid of it. So I am saying "No" to share such things. This "No" may results in losing project but not account.

Thank you Mam

@Petra R wrote:

@Vijay P wrote:

That does not happen.

And again: You do not lose your account (or get into any trouble, at all) if you communicate with clients via means other than Upwork. With Upwork messages being so hit-and-miss regarding reliability I would be stark raving bonkers if I didn't have alternative means to contact my main (or all) clients.

It is absolutely fine to communicate with clients however they (and you) like.

As long as payment goes through Upwork nobody gives a "whatever" how you communicate with the client.

b255b7a2
7 of 38

thank you mam

meenuseth2612
Meenu S Member Since: Jul 21, 2020
8 of 38

Thanks bro

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 38

Hi Nifal,

Sharing contact information on freelancer profiles and job postings is not allowed. It is okay to exchange contact information in private messages. However, we recommend documenting main terms, deadlines, milestones and file submissions in Upwork Messages for record purposes.

~ Valeria
Upwork
nifaladam
Ace Contributor
Nifal A Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
10 of 38

Thanks. 

I understand.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS