Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is talking in Skype allowed in UpWork?

patanwala_husain
Ace Contributor
Husain P Member Since: Mar 8, 2018
21 of 38
Yes, you can share it in your proposal and Direct Messages but cannot mention it in your profile.
binzailani3136
Bin Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
22 of 38

Hi Vladimir

I was checking this Q&A to clarify about Upwork policy and rules.

Upwork ToS says it is violent that sharing the personal information on their profile such as email, personal website, skype and etc.

So I am curious with your answer.

According to your answer, freelancers are allowed to write skype contact or their emails on their bidding proposals?

Even freelancers can ask client's skype or email while their are in private messaging?

I think, that's violent with Upwork policy, isn't it?

If I write the words such as 'skype' or hangout or email address on Upwork message, Upwork message platform alerts me with warnings and those words are flagged with red background and this makes me very scared.

I am not sure if those flags can suspend my bloody effort account.

So could you please solve my doubts?

Thanks

Bin

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
23 of 38

Hi Bin,

Please read the content of the warning message displayed for the flagged word in Messages and note that while you can share your direct contact details in your proposals and in Messages, it's highly advised to keep all the conversation on Upwork. Please follow the instructions shared in these safety tips in order to work safely on Upwork. 

Untitled
binzailani3136
Bin Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
24 of 38

Hi Vladimir

Thanks for your answer.

But until now, I can't understood clearly about this part.

So this means,  sharing personal information such as skype and email through proposal and upwork message is not violent to Upwork policy and freelancers can share their information through proposal and Upwork messaging system, right?

I get paid through Upwork from my clients and I communicate with the such as hangout and skype.

but I am not sure if this kind of thing is violent to ToS.

I've can't let the client to use only Upwork messaging system and I've to follow their favorite communication tools.

Please make me clear about this...

Best wishes

Bin

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
25 of 38

Hi Bin,

It's not a ToS violation to communicate with your clients by other means, outside Upwork Messages.

Untitled
chandaliya_vinod
Vinod C Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
26 of 38

Hi, 

I have just started on Upwork, wanted to confirm that, sharing Gmail id and skype contact while submitting proposal is still allowed,

Is there any other communication channel of upwork which we can use to communicate with client

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
27 of 38

re: "I have just started on Upwork, wanted to confirm that, sharing Gmail id and skype contact while submitting proposal is still allowed"

Yes. This has not changed.

These are allowed.

Not on your profile page. But when submitting a proposal it is fine.

PERSONALLY I think it is ANNOYING when freelancers send my these things when applying to my jobs. I did not ASK for these things. I don't want to talk to you on Skype. I just want to pay you money to work on my project.

But there ARE NOT RULES against this.

re: "Is there any other communication channel of upwork which we can use to communicate with client"

You can just use the built-in Upwork Messenger tool, which is part of the Upwork web site AND the Upwork desktop application. That's really the only thing I use as a client. And it is what I use as a freelancer on most of my projects. But when clients want to use something else (email, Skype, phone, Slack, etc.), then I am happy to use whatever they want to use.

(Just remember that all invitations that ask you to use Google Hangouts are scams.)

0aee0c13
Jatin A Member Since: Jul 31, 2019
28 of 38

Hi,

Can I ask someone for Skype or Web interview in order to hire a better candidate?. Kindly advice. Thanks in advance

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
29 of 38

Hi Jatin, 

Once a freelancer has accepted your invitation for interview, you should be able to exchange Skype IDs to be able to conduct a video/call interview. As a gentle reminder, please refrain from posting your Skype ID, or other means of communicating with you on the Job post, as this violates the Upwork Terms of Service. 

~ Avery
Upwork
b_lesyk
Borys L Member Since: Aug 12, 2020
30 of 38

Hi,

I submitted my proposal and the client accepted to interview me. But his first question was asking about my Skype ID. I've reviewed some posts and found that sharing Skype ID is allowed. But I've noticed a warning message when I was trying to type "Skype" words on private chat. Am I allowed to share my Skype ID with him?

Sharing contact information on freelancer profiles and job postings is not allowed. It is okay to exchange contact information in private messages. However, we recommend documenting main terms, deadlines, milestones, and file submissions in Upwork Messages for record purposes.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS