Did you mean: 

Is talking in Skype allowed in UpWork?

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
31 of 38

Borys L wrote:

Hi,

I submitted my proposal and the client accepted to interview me. But his first question was asking about my Skype ID. I've reviewed some posts and found that sharing Skype ID is allowed. But I've noticed a warning message when I was trying to type "Skype" words on private chat. Am I allowed to share my Skype ID with him?

Sharing contact information on freelancer profiles and job postings is not allowed. It is okay to exchange contact information in private messages. However, we recommend documenting main terms, deadlines, milestones, and file submissions in Upwork Messages for record purposes.

You've been reviewing posts from more than two years ago - the rules have recently changed. You are no longer allowed to share any contact information before the client awards you a contract. If he wants to speak with you first, tell him that you must use the Upwork calling system.

juliviramgama
Rashminkumar V Member Since: Oct 27, 2017
32 of 38

Hi

After looking proposal, client send message to freelancer thro UpWork messaging tool to provide freelancer's skype ID for interview and proposal discussion. Is it OK to share with client?

Can you please suggest?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
33 of 38

Rashminkumar V wrote

After looking proposal, client send message to freelancer thro UpWork messaging tool to provide freelancer's skype ID for interview and proposal discussion. Is it OK to share with client?

Yes. Just make sure you hhave an Upwork contract prior to starting work and that you will be paid on Upwork only.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
34 of 38

Hi Rashminkumar,

To add to Petra's reply, please review the safety tips shared earlier on this thread and feel free to follow up with any questions you might have.

Untitled
6768936a
zhi liang h Member Since: Oct 28, 2017
35 of 38

Hi, Vladimir G

I've been an upwork user for many years and done lots of hiring. 

Yesterday i needed someone to start on a VPN app project immediately so i even payed 29.99 to get more proposals.  I finally find a talent which i like and wanted to starting working with the freelancer. Then i mentioned if she has skype so we can continue the interview.  When we are done with the interview i've set the milestone and hired her for the contract and paid the inital $500 deposit as first milestone.

Just couple of hours ago i realize her profile was gone and she told me upwork suspended her account due to sharing her skype information to me on private message. 

I'm a little bit confused about the whole situation.  

#1 whats going to happen with my $500 deposit that i've already paid to her?

#2 All my works and hiring been through upwork and after interview through skype we started contract through upwork right away.

So my question is there any specific reason to why the freelancer was suspended? 

She didn't not provide skype in her proposal, she provided her skype in private message room in order for further interview.

Thank You 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
36 of 38

Sorry to hear your freelancer's account had to be suspended,  zhi liang. Unfortunately, we won't be able to share details about the suspension but rest assured these decisions aren't made lightly. Usually, accounts are suspended if there is solid evidence of ToS violation.

I have followed up with the team that's handling your case and they will update you directly via the ticket with more details about the payment you have already released.

~ Valeria
Upwork
6768936a
zhi liang h Member Since: Oct 28, 2017
37 of 38

Ok, thanks for the response!

I think she was suspended a little after contracted started and deposit was released.

Therefore i'm wondering whats going to happen with the deposit.  I will wait for your team to respond via ticket.

Thank You 

jukommerce
Jurjen K Member Since: Aug 29, 2019
38 of 38

I know a great freelancer from Bangladesh. He does have a handicap so he can only work from home. For his income he depends on Upwork. He did do a lot of jobs on Upwork. He did have happy customers. But he also made a mistake as he mentioned his Skype ID somewhere. I know 100% for sure that this freelancer did never have the intention to violate any T&C and just for this mistake he is banned permanently from the platform. (this decision is final ... bye bye)

From a HR perspective I believe that Upwork should forgive him this mistake as he will not make this mistake again and also because he is a talented freelancer.
From a social responsible perspective it is also sad... Very sad!

Of course I understand the legal reasons. I just hope that he can sign an official warning or something and then get his profile back. If it all was so clear then this community topic wouldn't exist. And when I hire a freelancer I prefer honest people who do care about their past mistakes ... As I believe that freelancers are in a constant learning process to make themselves better and better.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS