cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is the Wordpress test primarily about php?

cgl102770
Chris L Member Since: Nov 24, 2011
1 of 12

I know Wordpress customization pretty well between my knowledge of Photoshop, HTML/CSS, and the Wordpress control panel. Normally I can create and customize a 5-10 page Wordpress site in a few hours. However, I do not know php and can not develop plugins, or do any heavy/advanced customization to a site, in which the look and functionality of the site is greatly different from the template. 

I've started taking the Wordpress test here, and the first few questions are about PHP. Is it safe to say that most of the questions are about PHP? If so, then it seems its more of a Developer test, as opposed to a Designer test. Just curious what others thoughts are on this, thank you for any feedback.

mrevellgd
Matthew R Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
2 of 12

The HTML5 test is also mostly javascript. Who wrote these tests?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 12

HI Matthew and Chris, 

Chris, we're sorry if we missed out replying to your post. I will share this feedback with the team for their reference. 

~ Avery
Upwork
mrevellgd
Matthew R Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
4 of 12

In addition to the HTML5 test mostly being javascript functions and variables, the CSS test is even worse—being a decade out of date with eldritch code samples that would never be used and in fact are not even possible since 2010.

If taking these tests in important for my profile and getting work, can you please make this a priority? They tests are almost divorced from what they claim and are not a good tool for clients or freelancers.

Thanks for your time,
Matt Revell.

whiggins123
Ace Contributor
Wendy H Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
5 of 12

You might as well add the out-of-date PowerPoint test too.  The most recent is for 2010.  There is no benefit of showing a score for outdated software on my profile.  Employers will think that I don't have 2016 - or can't pass the test (as they couldn't possibly know that there is not one).   I might even click to NOT show my PPT score - more harm than good.  Thanks, W

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 12

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Power Point test, I'll share the information with our team.

Untitled
radable
Radan V Member Since: Nov 15, 2016
7 of 12

As for the Wordpress test, I agree 70% is a worpdress/theme developer test, not a "poweruser designer". Which means yes: you can fail the test even if you built a dozen of wordpress customizations including some (lighter) theme modding.

Nothing wrong with that - as long as the test's aim & methodology is made clearer to both clients and freelances.

You can't help the feeling that "Wordpress test" is unhelpfully meaningless label.

At least it could give some feedback?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 12

Hi Radan,

I'll share your suggestion with the team so they could review and consider adding additional information regarding the Wordpress test.

Untitled
darrylreubens
Darryl R Member Since: Nov 1, 2016
9 of 12

I have exactly the same issue with this. It is truly ridiculous that a wordpress test be about PHP. I can create decent wordpress sites, but i have this PHP barrier in the way of starting freelancing on upwork. I have been taking PHP courses but even these do not seem to be all that related to the wordpress PHP theme questions. Frustrating and preposterous in the extreme.

darrylreubens
Darryl R Member Since: Nov 1, 2016
10 of 12

Seeing as the OP asked this question months ago and there has not been proper feedback from Upwork, i do not hold much hope for freelancing on Upwork, i am forced to look for alternatives. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS