cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a job on this site that isn't a scam?

acperkins
Amanda P Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
1 of 11

I've done 5 or 6 interviews now and they've all been people representing themselves as BIG businesses (the last one was Procter and Gamble) when it's obvious from the email address used, the way questions are posed, and just basic grammar that they're not legit.

EVERY one of them came down to asking me for my banking information so they can "send me a check to buy equipment from their preferred vendor". I used to work for BBB. This is an old school scam.

Are there even legit jobs on here? I was so hopeful when I signed up but in just a few days I'm just not feeling it.

yowiedesign
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

There are many more legit jobs, than scammers. It's just that they tend to target the newbies, and even more so in the data entry sector. 

Stick with it.

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 11

Amanda:

As a newbie entry-level worker, you will not receive invitations from legitimate clients.

Focus on applying to job postings that you feel you will do well with. Especially focus on clients which are smaller and which you have not heard of.

Very important: DO NOT GOOGLE the names of clients and companies. Scammers want you google the names they give you. Real clients may have no web presence.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 11

Preston,

There are any number of reasons to Google clients for information.

I take your point that the existence of a web presence, legitimate or otherwise, is not a definitive criterion for general legitimacy.

Best,
Michael

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 11

As Douglas Michael points out, there are many reasons to check out websites.

A lot of clients in my category request that you to go to their website because they want the designer to use the same look/colors for a printed piece. When the information is available in an RFP, I visit sites as it helps me to write a more informed bid if I understand the company and/or product better.

And there are many times when a client has nothing better than a low-res web logo (they paid $5 for) and they expect you to grab it from their website to use in their project (unfortunately).

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 11

Amanda,

There are plenty of great jobs and clients here. You just have to learn to identify them. The fact that you had that many interviews tells me you didn't notice red flags ... which are pretty easy to catch early on.

So try spotting those red flags earlier in the process, so you don't waste your time and effort on these scammers. And by the way, you should also be reporting them to Upwork.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 11

Hi Amanda, 

If you haven't already, please send screen grabs of your conversation with these clients to our support team so that actions can be taken against the client's job post and account. 

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

~ Avery
Upwork
parkertoni
Toni P Member Since: Jul 10, 2016
8 of 11

I am having this exact same problem. Finally completed my profile a couple of weeks ago, have received/ am receiving multiple Invitations to Interview - although no responses from my submitted proposals. I get so excited when I have a new notification! Only to conclude that it is a scam. Ugh......it's really frustrating.

christaramsey
Christa R Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
9 of 11

I have luckily only had succuessful jobs here so far. I have completed 6 or 7. I have had 1 or 2 interviews that were scetchy so I just ended contact with that client. I must also say once I got successful feedback from a client I was no longer contacted by the scetchy ones it seemed, luckily. 

christaramsey
Christa R Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
10 of 11

As far as google, I reccommend putting in the clients business name and after it put in the word scam. This will help your google search to find weather or not they are a scam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS