cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to download the message Log?

Don M Member Since: Apr 24, 2016
1 of 24

I was told that I can't get a log of my messages until the contract is finished. I find this very dissapointing, but have accepted it.

OK, I have now finished the contract and couldn't see how to download a message log for the contract. I asked on the chat channel and was told that there is no such animal.

I spend 4 months (I think it was) working through a software contract, and there is no log of our proceedings? Is this true? No reference at all? Surely not!

Cheers Don...

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 24

Hi Don, 

I just checked your account. In the messages section, you can look up your freelancer via the search box. Clicking on the person you are looking for will pull up all the messages that you have exchanged with him/her. Please scroll up the message window to see your past excchanges with them. 

Unfortunately, the platform doesn't have the function to download your messages. But I will pass on this suggestion to our team so that they can consider addint this functionality in the future.

-Avery
Untitled
Don M Member Since: Apr 24, 2016
3 of 24

Than you very much for the quick reply.

I know you can scroll back through the messages, but 4 months worth.? It doesn't work. You can't search on keywords to check previous work, so that is fairly useless trying to do this. You can't capture 4 months.

Then when the contract is finalized, you can't get a log for reference, if any new work needs to be done to the same project.

I was impressed with the way Upwork handled everything else, and pleased with the cost and results from my freelancer.

However this "no message log" is a basic flaw in your system, that should be fixed ASAP. Surely I am not the only one that sees this as a flaw in the system.

Thanks for looking into it.

Cheers Don...

Steve S Member Since: Jan 5, 2017
4 of 24

I just want to echo Don's request that downloading past messages should be a supported feature.

We have been a long term Upwork/Odesk customer, and occasionally we have to search through old development records. Having to check both our internal system and then search through Upwork's individual message logs to find what relevent conversations is extremely time consuming and annoying. It will encourage us in the future to carry on conversations outside the Upwork system.

We'd like to keep our message logs in one place, and that will never be on Upwork because we don't have control of that storage.

I encourage you to elevate the priority of this feature request.

B. M. L Member Since: Jun 18, 2017
5 of 24

This is Major fail in service convenience.   As such I must consider going to another provider.

Hein M Member Since: Jun 14, 2018
6 of 24

>> Unfortunately, the platform doesn't have the function to download your messages. But I will pass on this suggestion to our team so that they can consider addint this functionality in the future.

I see this was said in August 2016. Almost two years later, jseems there is not yet a function to export conversations between the parties involved. Is this not going happen?

Doneyn B Member Since: Sep 28, 2018
7 of 24

Well here iI am now ... and that is exactly my question!!!!! it is now 9-28-2018, and upwork software team {of whatever team you want to call it} needs to get this sorted!

I am presently in a convo with a freelancer, and the present work involves photos and convo in between ... I had to scroll thru our convo for just 2 weeks to look at photos, when I could have printed this convo and referred back to it .. vs spending 2 hours going all the way back thru our NUMEROUS pages of the convo string.

I can copy and paste the convo into a word doc on my computer, however, the photos don't transfer over ... just a listing of the, which is of no help to me.

UPWORK!!!  This is serious!  Please get on this asap!  thee should be a link that we can copy .. 

and if one hires quite a few freelancers .. are we going to be forced to add the extra step in logging in looking it up and finding it??

ALL 'CHAT ROOMS' NOW  FEATURE .. The ability to hit a button and email the entire convo to ones email!  It's not hard to add that feature in .. it's a matter of some small coding!  In fact why not hire a coding freelancer to help you out with that!

Please put our hiring fees to upwork to GOOD USE HERE!  This is a major, major problem!  and I agree with the first guy - 4 months worth of a string of daily convo ... that's thousands of pages to rescroll thru!  {and while your at it, your rescrolling mode is very, very slow and takes forever!}.

Thank you!!!

D.

Jonathan W Member Since: Jun 25, 2018
8 of 24

Looking for this functionality myself.

Looks like people have been asking for this for 2-3 years.

Not sure why UpWork has not bothered?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
9 of 24

Hi Jonathan,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused, unfortunately we don`t have a plan to implement this type of a feature in the near future. Thank you!

Untitled
Thomas T Member Since: Jul 20, 2018
10 of 24

"...unfortunately we don`t have a plan to implement this type of a feature in the near future."

I could use this too.  With all these freelancers asking, this should be made a priority, and shouldn't take a lot of work.

Your freelancers are your backbone so you should be helping them out.  What is a big thing to them (us) should actually be a small thing on your end.

Is there a reason some department head thinks it SHOULDN'T be a feature?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS