Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any reason for me not to close a job when no work has been done and no money has ever changed hands?

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
1 of 3
I was hired for a job on Oct 23. After I was hired, the client had problems with her credit card, so I couldn't work for about a week. Then, I had some unavoidable delays so couldn't start working for about another week. (The client was already aware that I might only be able to work for her around a couple of days a week anyway.) I had told her when I would be available for work, but she never contacted me then. I didn't hear from her for over a week after I had said I would be available, so thinking there might have been a misunderstanding, and she expected me to contact her, I sent her a message telling her I was available. This was a week and a half ago, and I haven't heard anything from her yet. In the meantime, I have gotten work from other clients. I don't feel like contacting her again because even if I did get work from her, I would rather be spending the time doing work for my reliable clients. (I have clients that I don't have contact with that often, but when when one of us does initiate contact, the other responds promptly.) I was invited to this job along with many other freelancers, and she has hired many freelancers to do the same work. In the client's history, there are lots of jobs that ended with "no feedback given." Maybe I shouldn't have accepted it in the first place. It annoys me to have this job in my list of open contracts for over a month. Is there any reason for me not to close the contract?
Active Member
Judith P Member Since: Jun 26, 2012
2 of 3
I would end the contract Marcia. You have done no work and no money had changed hands, so there won't be a problem. I had a similar thing when I had an active candidacy with no further contact from the client. I politely withdrew the application asking him to come back to me if he intended proceeding, and he has just messaged me saying that yes he does want to go ahead. However, I won't hold my breath waiting for his response! The point is that it is no longer on my list. If he gets back to me, I will decide what to do from there.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 3
Good idea. Thanks.