cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to end a potential contract?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 9

I was invited to a job and after a little bargaining, the client and I agreed a price. After dragging his feet for a few days, the client eventually funded the first milestone for less than the  agreed amount. I refused and then got a notice that Upwork  will refund this to the client.

The client then said he would fund the agreed amount tomorrow. I simply want to end the transaction and all communication with the client. Is there any way I can do this?

I can't find the original invitation to refuse, and I have a feeling that although I refused the milestone, a contract was in place and that the client can leave feedback.

I am totally confused (in spite of being so seasoned I look like jerky or biltong - depending on your location).

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 9

Hi Nichola,

If you declined the client's offer and a contract was never created, they will not be able to leave feedback for you. If you don't wish to continue communicating with this client, you can click on their name in Messages and block them.

~ Valeria
Untitled
colettelewis
Community Guru
3 of 9

Thanks Valeria, but if a milestone was created and then refused (by me) and then is refunded by Upwork, would this regarded as a contract?

Also, I have clicked everywhere in messages and there is nothing that tells me "block this client".  So where exactly will I find this?

kochubei_valeria
4 of 9

Nichola,

A client has to fund at least one milestone in order to make a fixed-price offer, but the contract isn't created until the freelancer accepts that offer. If the freelancer declines the offer, there is no contract and the money is refunded to the client.

In your message room, please, click on the name of the client next to any of their messages. You'll see this:

Screenshot_17.png

Select to Block the client.

~ Valeria
Untitled
colettelewis
Community Guru
5 of 9

Thanks, Valeria - when I find the "room" I will do this. But when  I click next to the client's name, I do not see this.

colettelewis
Community Guru
6 of 9

Rather than blocking the client, is there any way I can simply end this invitation? Can I get back to the original invitation and simply withdraw my candidacy?

kochubei_valeria
7 of 9

Nichola, 

I sent you a private message.

~ Valeria
Untitled
colettelewis
Community Guru
8 of 9

Thanks Valeria,

I got the message, but I still cannot get to these places that you  have shown me here.  I am also assuming that it is OK that the client tried to get me to work off site.

Ah well . . .

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
9 of 9

Sounds like a thoroughgoing lousy interaction, Nichola. My sympathies. However, lousy as it is, you have probably saved yourself a heap o' trouble, just waiting to expand--like one of those novelty sponge toys that looks so small until you add a few drops of water and then it becomes a big, ugly, neon-green dinosaur. You kept the water away from the big, misshapen, sponge dinosaur!

But, also:  What you been drinkin', girl ??

@Nichola L wrote:
  I am also assuming that it is OK that the client tried to get me to work off site.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

duh-whuhhh ????

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS