cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to make Upwork run on Windows XP?

Highlighted
Maria R. G Member Since: Sep 3, 2017
1 of 8

Is there any way to make Upwork run on Windows XP?

I have a computer that runs well with windows XP and I cant install the app.

I believe its because XP is old, but I saw that there is still people who uses Win XP and I would like to keep doing it.

Any help here?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

Maria, XP is positively antique.

If you are serious about freelancing online you need to have the most basic tools, including an up to date computer.

You are trying to market yourself as a Software tester / Game tester / Web Tester...

NONE of that can be done on a machine running on an outdated, not supported OS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
3 of 8

You really do need to get an updated system. XP is full of security holes, lacking in features, and in general just doesn't provide a decent user experience.

Plus, with your stated line of work, you need a modern OS to be able to run the newer browser versions. Many of them simply don't support XP whatsoever past a certain version, so you're handicapping yourself there already. To get around that, you're probably going to be running a newer OS in a VM, so why not just run a newer OS in the first place?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 8

XP is a fossil, obviously, but she managed to earn $80k at Upwork on it, so she must be crazy good coming up with workarounds; still, no telling what she could do with half-way modern equipment. Cat Wink

Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
5 of 8

I'd say that the Upwork tracking app shoud support as wide a variety of systems as possible, not just the latest and greatest versions. Software Testing is a very good argument for this.

What if a client specifically asks for extensive testing of their software on Windows XP ? How does a freelancer log their time ?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 8

lol XP is over 15 years old, buddy. Nobody supports it. Might as well slap Windows 95 on your machine and complain that nothing works.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 8

@Andrei T wrote:

What if a client specifically asks for extensive testing of their software on Windows XP ? How does a freelancer log their time ?

Uh, I don't know how .NET/C## programmers do it, but speaking as a mere web developer, you use a virtual machine, like Parallels (which I use) or the free VirtualBox (if you're on a budget)

Dejan P Member Since: Oct 11, 2018
8 of 8

What many of you fail to recognize is that, many of the non-cloud rigs that run servers, dbs etc, that are on a closed network where they have no need to talk directly to the outside world but rather through a gateway, or perhaps, in no way whatsoever, still run on XP. And no, XP is not crap, but rather a victim of the modern push for newer flashier things, all the while ignoring the basic functionality requirements. Were it not for this stupid push, I personally would still be running everything off of WinXP. 2GB of RAM just to make an OS run? Come on! And this is the best compatibility OS MS has to offer. (The later versions just add more 3D bs and remove the iconic taskbar from it). While OOS is awesome for certain aspects, many here, including myself, include in our line of business proprietary software and are basically bullied into using Windows because said software is inoperable under different OS or is cost-prohibitive...

Yes, XP is antique, and not 15, but 17 or 18 years old, but it gets the job done. It has holes because so many people learned to use a computer thanks to XP; get your history in order.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS