🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is there any way to report potential scams?
Page options
itranslatethings
Community Member

Is there any way to report potential scams?

Hello, I was just wondering if there's any way we as freelancers can report job postings that seem to be scams.

There's been a ton of incredibly suspicious job postings that I've seen in the tags I frequent. Usually they want you to contact them through Telegram without even applying for the job, and they all have the same job description with one or two words changed. I just came across a classic scam that claimed a very wealthy woman who is terminally ill is looking for someone to give her life savings to. I even nearly fell for a scam recently on here. I attached a couple of examples but there are many more. It makes it difficult to find the genuine jobs!

I know that there are ways you can "thumbs down" certain job postings, but the reasons provided are just personal reasons and never something that "I think this might be a scam". Do I have to make a discussion and get in touch with a support person to manually report every scam, or is there a faster way of doing this?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Blerta,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

You may want to check this post and this announcement for more information. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

There is a flagging option in every job post for that purpose. Open the posting, right hand side. 

Do you mean this? This doesn't do anything but hide the job from your feed though. Or is another functionality that I missed?

No, this is not what I am talking about. 

You need to OPEN the job posting to flag it. 

Thank you so much! I'll be flagging all the scams I've seen so far.

NikolaS

Hi Blerta,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

You may want to check this post and this announcement for more information. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

There are ways to flag postings, as you've already been advised.

What no one on this thread can assure you, is if serious action will be taken on such scammers, namely, the suspending of their accounts so they may not get further victims.

Who knows? The posting would get taken down, sure. But you might see them again, and further individuals will get scammed.

Scams have been flooding the tags I usually browse to find jobs. It's getting to be really ridiculous.

Some have been taken down, but some haven't. It's really infuriating. Not only may other people get scammed, but some scams aren't so obvious and you lose connects applying to them. I applied for a seemingly normal job, and then the person told me to talk to them on Telegram.

crart
Community Member

Honestly it looks like this is the future of Upwork seeing how many scammers are posting their crap and how UW is focused on milking freelancers more instead of focusing on platform quality. Well done UW, well done.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Yeah, this is apparently how work works now, to borrow the phrasing on Upwork's landing page. 😂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths