cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anything else I could do to get only one proposal accepted?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mina F Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
1 of 20

I've read a lot; I did almost all what is recommended; I've viewed other freelancers who work in the same field as I do or similar and I've found that they have terrible mistakes and/or obvious incredibility/dishonesty in their self-presentation, yet top rated; I've been editing my profile continuously to fit what could be a reason to get hired, I even tried as much as possible to avoide adjectives or adverbs of exaggeration when introducing myself and rather intentionally stick to facts or self-claimed facts; my profile even got a Rising Talent badge; but the problem is, I just don't have work history YET, I have no way to prove that I'm really good and I can really do it and I can do it better! I'm new so no one picks me! I only have 6 remaining connects and I really need to get something going here, so what am I missing, what can I do?

Any suggestion or help please..much appreciated. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 20

Maybe there simply isn't very much demand for the skills and expertise you are offering, relative to the available supply.

For example, some freelancers come here and want to work as a "writer" or "translator," even though there are already plenty of freelancers working in those job niches.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 20

Preston H wrote:

For example, some freelancers come here and want to work as a "writer" or "translator," even though there are already plenty of freelancers working in those job niches.

How unfortunate! That's exactly why I'm here Smiley Very Happy. So should I just give up, even though as I browse I feel so much injustice looking at others' relatively inadequate skills along with success and then looking at mine?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 20

Your profile actually uses the word "unprofessional" to describe yourself. I wouldn't hire anyone who is unprofessional.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 20

re: "So should I just give up?"

I can't make that decision for you.

But I can point out that whatever it is you have been doing... it hasn't been working.

Most people should NOT try to work as online freelancers. Most people should NOT be on Upwork. It is an unlikely way to earn money and it is suitable only for a small percentage of people.

However, if you want to continue to try here, you would need to distinguish yourself. Why should a client hire you (when you have no Upwork experience) instead of hiring somebody else?

Are there specific areas of expertise that you possess? Are there specific types of work that you are among the best in?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 20

Preston H wrote:

Are there specific areas of expertise that you possess? Are there specific types of work that you are among the best in?

But even if I have, and even if I take the time to find those, will merely mentioning them be credible enough to clients?

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 20

re: "But even if I have, and even if I take the time to find those, will merely mentioning them be credible enough to clients?"

That is what your portfolio is for.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 20

Preston H wrote:

That is what your portfolio is for.

So it's a dead end! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 20

re: "So it's a dead end!"

No, that's not what this means.

Freelancers who are serious about working on Upwork create portfolios that demonstrate the type of work that you can do. If you actually have skills that would be of interest to clients, then you create portfolio pieces to demonstrate those skills. You don't get paid for doing that. You do it for free, for "yourself as a client."

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 20

Preston H wrote:

re: "So it's a dead end!"

No, that's not what this means.

Freelancers who are serious about working on Upwork create portfolios that demonstrate the type of work that you can do. If you actually have skills that would be of interest to clients, then you create portfolio pieces to demonstrate those skills. You don't get paid for doing that. You do it for free, for "yourself as a client."

Okay, thank you for the help and your time, appreciate it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS