cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anything else I could do to get only one proposal accepted?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
11 of 20
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mina F Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
12 of 20

Janean L wrote:

Your profile actually uses the word "unprofessional" to describe yourself. I wouldn't hire anyone who is unprofessional.

Thanks for the note. I intended to mention "unprofessional" to emphasise the fact that it was only a casual and an amateur teaching and not a source of income, but maybe you're right and it doesn't sound good.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
13 of 20

Quote: "Thanks for the note. I intended to mention "unprofessional" to emphasise the fact that it was only a casual and an amateur teaching and not a source of income, but maybe you're right and it doesn't sound good."

No, "unprofessional" doesn't sound good at all. "Unprofessional" doesn't mean "amateur" or "maven." It means "opposite of professional" -- that is: unskilled, shoddy, poorly done, not meeting proper standards, negligent, disreputable, clumsy, bumbling, etc. 

In fact, the very use of the word "unprofessional" in place of an apt word or phrase to convey your meaning is an excellent example of precisely why you should NOT attempt to translate professionally. Rather than advertising youself as an enthusiastic amateur, you actually chose a word that inadvertently presents you as an incompetent bungler. And, indeed, that is a not-infrequent sort of error that amateur (NON-professional, not UN-professional) persons make when they attempt to translate.

I wish you well, but your English level may not be such that clients will be be eager to hire you as either a "native" or a "bilingual" speaker. And you should perhaps consider whether you are yet ready to provide professional services as a translator.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
14 of 20

Janean L wrote:

In fact, the very use of the word "unprofessional" in place of an apt word or phrase to convey your meaning is an excellent example of precisely why you should NOT attempt to translate professionally. Rather than advertising youself as an enthusiastic amateur, you actually chose a word that inadvertently presents you as an incompetent bungler. And, indeed, that is a not-infrequent sort of error that amateur (NON-professional, not UN-professional) persons make when they attempt to translate.

I wish you well, but your English level may not be such that clients will be be eager to hire you as either a "native" or a "bilingual" speaker. And you should perhaps consider whether you are yet ready to provide professional services as a translator.

You are right; there's indeed a difference between "unprofessional" and "non-professional", I must have confused the two since I think I'm already aware of the both, but I think that's what distinguishes an expert from an ordinary translator or a beginner. However, I'd exclude myself completely from the category of "rookies" or even "amateurs" (in a negative manner) in terms of English as a language and accordingly English translation rather than teaching, and would hold on to my claim of having an almost bilingual level of English as I've seen actual native speakers of English who make mistakes just as silly.

Regards.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
15 of 20

Mina F wrote:

Janean L wrote:

You are right; there's indeed a difference between "unprofessional" and "non-professional", I must have confused the two since I think I'm already aware of the both, but I think that's what distinguishes an expert from an ordinary translator or a beginner. However, I'd exclude myself completely from the category of "rookies" or even "amateurs" (in a negative manner) in terms of English as a language and accordingly English translation rather than teaching, and would hold on to my claim of having an almost bilingual level of English as I've seen actual native speakers of English who make mistakes just as silly.

Regards.

Well, I suppose that could be your sales pitch, "I am really bad at this but so are other people and they get gigs." 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
16 of 20

Tonya P wrote:

Well, I suppose that could be your sales pitch, "I am really bad at this but so are other people and they get gigs." 

"Really bad"!! It's interesting how you perceive things, but no it couldn't. Fun fact, I'm a perfectionist linguist. Thanks for your supplement.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
17 of 20

@Mina: Since you are "a perfectionist linguist" and also (per your profile) "a detailed oriented and a determent person," you might want to consider asking a native English speaker to review your profile. It does not currently present as that of a linguistic perfectionist.

(Do as you wish. That's just my "supplement.")

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
18 of 20

Janean L wrote:

@Mina: Since you are "a perfectionist linguist" and also (per your profile) "a detailed oriented and a determent person," you might want to consider asking a native English speaker to review your profile. It does not currently present as that of a linguistic perfectionist.

Haha, another fun fact; it was "detail oriented" and I somehow changed it.

The other one is indeed an error; even though that's probably not the answer for my doubts in this topic but thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
19 of 20

When the OP asks for help and advice, receives some suggestions and it's not what they want to hear - how fast they make their profiles private. Then why ask for advice in the first place.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
20 of 20

Kathy T wrote:

When the OP asks for help and advice, receives some suggestions and it's not what they want to hear - how fast they make their profiles private. Then why ask for advice in the first place.

In any unfortunate case in which you might be referring to me as "OP", I didn't change my profile visibility and I'm not even sure if there's any difference between visibility on Upwork itself and that on the Community; why would you even think of that?

Is it just me or some people here do look for a way to be aggressive more often than being helpful? Do you spend your free time from Upwork arguing on Upwork?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS