🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is there anything wrong with my profile?
Page options
lesterb22
Community Member

Is there anything wrong with my profile?

Recently, i havent got any job. please tell me is there anything wrong with my profile? I noticed most clients look up for high Job Success Rate.and they most likely prefer high.. why they dont consider skills we have or put up a short test... please help need advise

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lester B wrote:

Can you tell me what is wrong ? can you tell me what makes it a "fairy tale" please i need help to make some changes i need to do.

Your overview describes a software developer, your history shows that you have worked purely as a virtual assistant and your JSS indicates that this endeavour was not particularly successful.

Your education history looks suspect (Two bachelor's degrees, each achieved in a year, from 2 different schools?) and one of your clients mentions that you are still a student despite you claiming to have graduated  (twice)

All in all, between the horribly low JSS, the discrepancies and the outright lies, any client who pays attention will be running away from such a profile.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
lysis10
Community Member

You're a VA claiming to be a software dev. Ain't nobody got time for that.

is that how quick you judge people? lol I am a Software Dev, I work as VA too as it has more higher hired rate than Software Dev.

re: "is that how quick you judge people? lol I am a Software Dev, I work as VA too as it has more higher hired rate than Software Dev.

No.

Jennifer is right.

Software Devs don't work as VAs.

If you are doing both, then you are a VA claiming to be a Software Dev.

As a client I certainly wouldn't hire a VA to work as a software dev.

Preston H wrote:

re: "is that how quick you judge people? lol I am a Software Dev, I work as VA too as it has more higher hired rate than Software Dev.

No.

Jennifer is right.

Software Devs don't work as VAs.

If you are doing both, then you are a VA claiming to be a Software Dev.

As a client I certainly wouldn't hire a VA to work as a software dev.

There are loads of YouTube videos and other advice online about which skills you should claim to have in order to get accepted on Upwork. Why aren't people banned if they sign up under one category but exclusively work under a different category? 

re: "is that how quick you judge people?"

Oh, you have no idea.

Lester B wrote:

is that how quick you judge people? lol I am a Software Dev, I work as VA too as it has more higher hired rate than Software Dev.

Rest assured, a client looking at your profile will spend considerably less time on it than your friendly fellow freelancer. So you better make that split-second count. 

Anything wrong being multi-skilled?

Lester B wrote:

No, not a problem but it has to be real. Your profile is fairy tales and it's blatantly obvious to me and to clients apparently. I suggest you stop kidding yourself after watching the Udemy video and be honest in your profile.

Can you tell me what is wrong ? can you tell me what makes it a "fairy tale" please i need help to make some changes i need to do.

Lester B wrote:

Your overview describes a software developer, your history shows that you have worked purely as a virtual assistant and your JSS indicates that this endeavour was not particularly successful.

Your education history looks suspect (Two bachelor's degrees, each achieved in a year, from 2 different schools?) and one of your clients mentions that you are still a student despite you claiming to have graduated  (twice)

All in all, between the horribly low JSS, the discrepancies and the outright lies, any client who pays attention will be running away from such a profile.

what jss ? please enlighten me

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lester, 

As it seems that you are new here, I would definitely recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please also pay attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I hope this helps you come up with a more competitive profile, and help you familiarize yourself with Upwork. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

do you think i should remove my specialized profile for software development ? yes its true i am a developer and using visual studio for development... whats the best i can do now?

Lester B wrote:

do you think i should remove my specialized profile for software development ? yes its true i am a developer and using visual studio for development... whats the best i can do now?

If you are a software developer, and a good one, THAT is what you should concentrate on. It is more lucrative and somewhat less overcrowded than being a VA, which doesn't appear to be your thing at all.

You don't seem to be all that good at being a VA, so why do that anyway, it is a terribly low paid and overcrowded category and you've not been very successful at it...

Lester B wrote:

what jss ? please enlighten me

Your Job Success Score which is frightfully low.

lysis10
Community Member

lol he changed to project management. 

I don't want to say what gave away his "not really a developer" but the way he worded things screamed "I haven't even watched a Udemy course and just want to jack someone's money" lolol

Lester B wrote:

No, only with being multi-unskilled.

re: "Anything wrong being multi-skilled?"

If you are GENUINELY multi-skilled, is there anything wrong with that?

Often times: YES!

Not "wrong" in the legal or moral sense.

But WRONG when it is BAD MARKETING and when it means you seriously earn less.

how about my description you see anything wrong? thanks please i am so curious what am doing wrong

2f5ff562
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

You're a VA claiming to be a software dev. Ain't nobody got time for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEC-8GFTP4&t=36s LOL

Dear Lester, i would suggest you listen to the gururs... Jennifer is somewhat in your field so she definetely knows what she´s talking about, just stop being a little headstrong and listen, read the links the community moderator sent. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members