cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there protection against misleading clients regarding feedback editing?

a926ba54
Phillip W Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
1 of 23

The following scenario hasn't occurred. This is just a precaution.

Is there protection against a client that would lower a previous rating after indicating their intention to raise it? For instance, could the rating be reset by Upwork in such a case?

Thank you

Notes:

- Please read my reply to Preston if any other feedback than answered question is to be given 

- Any references to documentation or a real-world case would be appreciated

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 23

Phillip:

Don't be messing around with this.

As a client I have had contractors do this. It is VERY ANNOYING.

I hire a contractor. They do a mediocre job. I give them a fair rating. They whine and beg for me for a better rating. They click the button that allows me to change their rating.

No, there's no "protection" against me giving the contractor the rating they ACTUALLY deserve, which is an even lower rating than I originally gave them.

Don't talk to your clients about the feedback scores.

Just do a good job and accept the scores the clients give you.

a926ba54
3 of 23

[#] -- indicates a footnote

So you don't know, or are you just avoiding the question [1]? It is obtusely presumptuous to assert that all freelancers are "whining" when communicating with clients about, for instance, 'how the job could have been done better' or requesting more specific feedback on something that was missed -- That is the context that you're missing. No one is holding anyone hostage or whining. Politley requesting a more descriptive assessment when (potentially important) ratings do not appear to align with output -- is the context of an ancillary indication that feedback can be open for edit if a mistake was made. It is not inconceivable that a client could give a rating that is nebulous or misapplied. In my experience (with actually just 2 ratings), it is particuarly from those who are considerably less articulate to start with. Furthermore, I'm specifically referring to someone that is requesting more work from me (not the other way around). If a previous rating is bewildering, anomalous, or apparently inaccurate, this may factor into whether the job should be acccepted. In other words, given the various relationships different clients can have, you should be objective and not bring your baggage to this post. 

[1] -- being indirect: I'm referring to a potential (apparently unlikely) scenario of a client that transparently lies about their intentions in this case, and what Upwork could do about it. Note the potential gravity of the situation for some profiles.  

Note -- Truly no offense, but this will be the last message I read from you or post to you. Just letting you know why no further replies would be made from me if applicable.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
4 of 23

There are many rating scales at Upwork.  There are such things as public feedback, private feedback, "agency feedback", etc. I have yet to hear of a client who will tell me his or intention to raise my previous rating.  But then your introductory statement freely stipulates the scenario and therefore attempts to negate your questions.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 23

@Phillip W wrote:

Is there protection against a client that would lower a rating after indicating their intention to raise a previous rating? For instance, could the rating be reset by Upwork in such a case?

you

No.

And the freelancer's account could be in extremely deep poo if there was any evidence of feedback manipulation or attemps at feedback tampering.

a926ba54
6 of 23

(1/2) Thank you. As implied in my reply to Preston, manipulation is antithetical to anything I'm referring to. By the way, any reference to documentation or a real-world case would be appreciated if someone has it.

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
7 of 23

@Phillip W wrote:

By the way, any reference to documentation

Please bear in mind that you cannot reverse this action.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068458

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 23

Phillip, Preston said categorically that there is no protection. I'm confused by your very long response that begins by suggesting that he didn't answer your question.

a926ba54
9 of 23

He didn't answer my question directly. He stated there is no "protection" of him giving the rating they actually deserve. My question was whether there is protection for ratings that aren't deserved. He was indirect and overly aggressive due to his own personal issues.

a926ba54
10 of 23

(2/2) I found this in the documentation. An interpretation of how it wouldn't apply to this case may be helpful.

"All profiles, jobs, proposals, and other content posted to the Site must be truthful and not misleading. Here are examples of uses that are prohibited:

• Misrepresenting a Freelancer’s experience, skills, or information;"

The evidence of being misleading would be provided in message exchanges in direct connection with the updated feedback (indicating that a rating would be raised, not lowered), where the Freelancer's information being misrepresented (content posted to the site) would be the indicated job performance for a particular job. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS