cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Project a Scam?

briandavis
Active

Hi,

I just received an Invite from a Client and I accpeted and asked for additional information about the project.

They replied with the following:

Y**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I am some what on the fence about this project feels like to me a scam?

They gave me the location and company that they work for and that checks out.

But, again any one on the internet can find some company to use as a scam.

Just wanted to know what you think?

Have a great day!

Brian Keith Davis

8 REPLIES 8
katrinabeaver
Community Guru

Yes it's the well-known check scam. Report the client and move on. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brian,

We'll have the job you are referring to reviewed by our Marketplace Quality team and necessary actions taken.

~ Valeria
Upwork

So this is for sure a scam and withdraw the proposal then?

They are now contacting me with information and etc to get started with the project.

It's 100% a scam.  Just quit communicating them and report them.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

re: "They gave me the location and company that they work for and that checks out."

As you now realize, it does NOT check out.

Absoluty, 100% doesn't "check out," and when you googled the company's name, you fell into the scammer's plan for you. They manipulated you psychologically by feeding you a company name they knew you would google. They knew you would be impressed by what you saw there, and that you would neglect to check out the company in the only place that matters: on Upwork.

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your replies I was 99.999% sure it was a scam.

Just wanted to confirm 100% here that it was.

Went ahead and withdrawn the Proposal and blocked the client from feature invites.

So Upwork don't filiter Project listings or some how this one just fell through the cracks some how?

Been active searching the last week for new work and noticing lots of SPAM and Scam listings in which all I flag as so.

It would be helpful if some how these were taken out so that when workers  applies for work don't have to worry about working on a project that is SPAM or a scam.

Thanks for all of your help!

Have a great Day!

Brian Keith Davis

Brian, going forward, don't withdraw your proposal when you decide it's a scam. Once Upwork cancels a scam job, you get your connects back, but if you withdraw it yourself, then the connects are probably gone. The only cases I would ever withdraw a proposal is when I decide after submitting a proposal that I either need to change my cover letter, or that I no longer wish to take on the job. 

re: "So Upwork don't filiter Project listings or some how this one just fell through the cracks some how?"

Upwork filters out job listings that violate Upwork ToS.

But it has no way of filtering out job postings posted by scammers if the job posting does NOT violate ToS.

That is what the more successful scammers do:

They post a job posting which is perfectly acceptable, which does NOT violate any rules. And then there is no way to know that the job was posted by a scammer until the freelancer applies to the job or is invited to apply.

Only during communication between the scammer and the freelancer does the scammer reveal herself to be a scammer. So there is no way to filter the job.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS