Is this a SCAM?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
1 of 43

I got a contract today,

the client's message says they want to hire me and:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

The client is new, from the UK and is payment verified. The job and message seem legit, but of course, it also looks very suspicious. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 43

Nothing much costs £6.60 in the UK anymore, certainly not a background check! Even the most simple ones from the police cost several times that. I'm convinced it's a scam, any legitimate company would cvertainly not worry about paying out that amount of money.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
3 of 43

Yes, this is a scam.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 43

And there will probably be a few posts pointing out how obvious it is that this is a scam, and it is, but I've been there. Scam alert's raging at the back of your brain but, Oh, man! The job just looks so good, doesn't it?

All you can do is set lines in the sand - such as, in this case, never agreeing to spend money on something that a client promises to reimburse you for later - and then refuse, under any circumstances, to cross said lines. That way the hope these scammers prey on won't get the better of you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
5 of 43

OK. Could Upwork please investigate this client? Do I have to sumbit a ticket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 43

lol @ "Check Hire Thrive has positioned it as a global market leader in background checks."

But, blocking bots so indexed nowhere. haha

This is phishing+scam

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 43

Also:

"Requesting a fee in order to apply or bid is strictly prohibited."

https://www.upwork.com/info/terms/client-policies/

Definitely open a ticket (the job won't be removed otherwise).

Highlighted
Francesca M Member Since: Jul 27, 2015
8 of 43

This criminal mind hidden behind the name **edited for Community Guidelines** made me pay 9,99 USD via **edited for Community Guidelines**

For your info, as I was not happy with a simple block of his account, I reported it to the police.

He / she will understand how stupid he / she is !!!!!  

Francesca Miccoli

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 43

Hi Francesca and others,

I am sorry you were targeted by the scam. Our Marketplace Quality team is working hard to identify such job postings and take actions against accounts involved as quickly as possible. Your reports help us a lot.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
JOHN G Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
10 of 43

Hello, everyone.

I have just been approached by an individual on a "Proofreader needed" job.

He claimed that I was the most qualified for the job and then sent me over to checkhirethrive.com with an ID number. I noticed the $9.99 fee window pop up - of course, he'd offered to reimburse me in my first paycheck! ;-)

I have not yet let him know that I am on to him, as I only replied that I wanted to know more about the job whilst I checked up on that site here.

In other words, I have him on the 'hook', I think.

Please advise as to next step. The Upwork community is dear to me, and if he is up to no good, he must be blocked.

Thanks - I look forward to your comments.

Johnny S. Geddes

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS