Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a SCAM?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 43

Hi Johnny,

Please, report the job posting by flagging it or by submitting a ticket to Customer Support. The team will take actions against the posting and the account involved.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Meagan K Member Since: Aug 4, 2015
12 of 43

Valeria,

I am glad I researched this. I almost did this today. Here is the link to the job that I applied for that is requesting the background check: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

How disappointing. 

Meagan Kreycik

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 43

Could someon please PM me the job and the email they get? I'm trying to get Google to flag this in their malware API so it shows a warning in the browser. They need more info because on the surface this site seems harmless.

I'd show them this thread (which I might do anyway) but a lot of info has been cut out.

Highlighted
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
14 of 43

Anyone honest and reasonable who wanted to do background checks on potential employees would pay for them themselves.

This client is claiming they'll pay for it, which leaves is the question: why aren't they paying up-front?

Myself, I never get even as far as wondering if this kind of thing is a scam. What it definitely is, is some unprofessional time-waster asking me to jump through hoops. No.

Highlighted
15 of 43

Hi Natalia,

Please, report the client to Customer Support. As it was noted on this thread by other users, you shouldn't pay a fee to a client to apply for their job.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 43

"As it was noted on this thread by other users, you should pay a fee to a client to apply for their job."

Oops Valeria - needs a little edit! Smiley Wink

Edited to add: Sorry Valeria, I couldn't resist! Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
17 of 43

One mistake in over 3,000 posts, we'll let her slide this time....

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
18 of 43

Thanks for pointing it out, Nichola. I apologize for my mistake and have fixed it.

Ronald, I appreciate your understanding. A good marksman may miss.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Patricia H Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
19 of 43

I think they got me with their message. They said **edited for Community Guidelines** wanted to hire me and that first I had to pay US$9 to checkhirethrive. Stupid me I did it !! now I realize it is a scam, I never heard from **edited for Community Guidelines** againa. Can Upwork remove him?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 43

I'm gonna report this to Google and see if they will flag it so it shows a phishing warning for people in the browser. No guarantees but I'll give it a shot. Maybe save some other people.  

The CC submission form is not encrypted, so they might do it based on that... we'll see.

Also, if you input your CC, I think you should ask  the bank to cancel it and get a new card.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS