Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a SCAM?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 43

Hi Patricia,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. Please, report the client to Customer Support and if the request to send them a check was made not on the Upwork messaging system, please attach screenshots of your communication with the client to the support ticket.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Susanne G Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
22 of 43

This domain was created on 7-17 2015

I applied to this post:

I got a message I got back asking me to "pass a light background check." at ** for $9.95

They had 85 applicants...

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
23 of 43

Susanne,

I have reported a similar job posting to CS a few days back. It is a scam. **edited for Community Guidelines** is a phishing site.

I received the exact same answer (signed by a Jason) to an application for a not obviously scam job posting - and reported it right away. CS took down the ad within a few hours.

God, I wish they would screen jobs better. Clearly the same person set up another account and is at it again. You should flag and report it.

Highlighted
Ida P Member Since: Jul 27, 2015
24 of 43

Hi,

I got the same message from the employer...asking to pass backgroung check , but I see the application has been archived. Plus they haven't been payment verified.

Ida

Highlighted
Theresa K Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
25 of 43
Same here. Once and never again. I will also send a ticket about the client who sent me this mail, I actually complied with, because obviously I need to work. Too bad there is not much to do but being angry at oneself.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Prahlad Y Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
26 of 43

Can confirm this website (checkhirethrive) is a scam, not just from upwork, but other sources too. Client places the background-check reimbursement amount as a bait, usual tactics. One more reason to perform a simple reputation check on the client before accepting a job offer! I think upwork should also blacklist this site in its database.

Highlighted
Tanay B Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
27 of 43

I was approached by a new client saying that they want to hire me and I need to complete test here: **edited for Community Guidelines** and that the money will be reimbursed later. This did not sound right and that's when i tried to know more about this and saw this Post!

@Natalia-  Did you report the client?

Here's his message:-

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
28 of 43

Yes, well, none of this is really surprising.

Scammers are out there, and they prey on new, inexperienced contractors.

I never get sent stuff like this. I think most scammers target a specific type of person, and realize that trying to scam a person with experience is a waste of their time, and possibly dangerous.

As a reminder, when you work, people pay you money, not the other way around.

When you hire somebody, you pay them money.

It doesn't matter if it is a "background check," or "software you need to purchase from us in order to do this job" or anything else...

A client hiring you pays for those expenses. Or that client is a scammer.

I DO spent money on software, equipment, etc. Most of us do. But that money is not paid to clients as a condition of hiring. That is money I spend to outfit myself with the appropriate resources I need to be a professional.

A client expects that I already have those resources.

If a client needs me to use specific software associated only with his company, that client provides me the software for free.

If a client needs me to do a background check, that client pays for the check.

And, really, this is pretty unheard of. Most anybody on Upwork who talks about a background check is probably a scammer.

Should we feel bad for newbies who get scammed because they are unaware of or fail to heed these VERY BASIC concepts?

Hmmm... Maybe... But they need to learn this concept at some point in their lives. If you can learn your lesson for $9.95, that's actually a pretty inexpensive lesson. Count yourself lucky. Some people get scammed out of hundreds or even thousands of dollars before they learn this lesson.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
29 of 43

LOL good thing I check the forums. I got the same exact client from the UK

Here's the link to the job post (sorry Valeria, they have to see this) open image in new tab to enlarge. This scammer has been registering fake names it seems.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
30 of 43

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your report. I have forwarded it to the team.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS