Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a Scam from a Client

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pat P Member Since: Nov 26, 2013
11 of 26
I had contacted oDesk and asked how to have this removed when I first noticed the mark and it appeared to be taken down and then it just re-appeared. If I can make enough and I might just refund her. I have received 5 stars from everyone else and two clients have contacted me for repeat work. I don't know, I might just live with it.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
12 of 26
On principle I'd live with it. But principle may not get you new jobs. So that is something you need to decide. It is strange that she usually rates well. You would imagine that someone like that would let you know that she is not happy. That's why I thought it may have been a mistake. Your other ratings are good so you just need to weigh it up. I'd feel darn annoyed refunding for something when I had no idea why.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
13 of 26
Yea, I don't know. I just wrapped up another project from a repeat client and I'm pretty positive I am going to get 5 stars—hopefully I'll get a rating of 4.5. I think I could live with that.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
14 of 26
Me too, I can live with a less than 5 rating as long as the client is fair and told me what went wrong. I can even live with a 4. What's really a blow to a freelancer who cares about excellence and performance is not knowing what he or she could have done better.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
15 of 26
If I refund the money, will potential clients know? Also I might send her a not asking why, and if it is possible to do some make up work free of charge. I am really baffled by this.
Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 26
if you refund her no one will know (except those who have read this), you, and oDesk. Don't give free work unless she responds first with why. She might just see this as an act of desperation and you'll be opening yourself up to being victimized. Just politely ask her what made her gave you that rating. If she does not reply, then you know what kind of person she is, considering she didn't even type anything at the feedback section.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
17 of 26
Diane, is it possible to respond to the rating even if she left no comment? If she does not reply to your note Pat, perhaps you should leave an honest response to the bad rating ... something on the line of your post here ... that you are baffled by the rating. That is something that any interested party could read.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
18 of 26
"perhaps you should leave an honest response to the bad rating" Am I missing something? if the rating has been left and is visible, then the feedback process is closed, and there's no way of responding apart from by asking the client to let you change your response...
Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 26
I just checked my closed contracts (from this month), and yes, there is an option to reply (even when the client left no comment). BUT, since the oDesk bug about not showing other contractors' feedback to clients is still around, other contractors might not see Pat's response at all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
20 of 26
It's a new feature, announced few days ago. They're trying to give the freelancers a chance to respond to unfair feedback and explain lower ratings or clarify particular feedback comments.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS