Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a Scam from a Client

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
21 of 26
I may be confused with Elance; thought you could always respond to feedback.
Highlighted
Rhonda D Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
22 of 26

Hi,

Scam?..I am relatively new here and accepted a very low cost job which entailed comments on a blog. The client said she wanted me to change the first 2 i sent and do them in a different way, and I gladly did so. The turn around was quick and on point. She got my 4 comments then said that this is not what they are looking for she wanted a refund. Therefore I approved the refund request. Now I am hearing that there may be scammers on this site that get you to do the work and then complain and don't pay? Well, I need this money to finish my education, and it is disheartening to think that this is happening. Are there any suggestions as to how to get paid at least half of your salary before submitting your work. Even though it was low pay, it was still my work that went out into cyberspace and may or may not be used without my knowledge.

Rhonda D

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 26

Hi Rhonda,

If there are funds in Escrow and you completed the work fully and according to the terms of the contract, you have the right to dispute the client's request for a refund. I do recommend discussing it with the client first and trying to sort out the issue before you dispute.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 26

@Rhonda D wrote:

Hi,

Scam?..I am relatively new here and accepted a very low cost job which entailed comments on a blog. The client said she wanted me to change the first 2 i sent and do them in a different way, and I gladly did so. The turn around was quick and on point. She got my 4 comments then said that this is not what they are looking for she wanted a refund. Therefore I approved the refund request. Now I am hearing that there may be scammers on this site that get you to do the work and then complain and don't pay? Well, I need this money to finish my education, and it is disheartening to think that this is happening. Are there any suggestions as to how to get paid at least half of your salary before submitting your work. Even though it was low pay, it was still my work that went out into cyberspace and may or may not be used without my knowledge.

Rhonda D

When people ask you to do unethical things, you should be ready to get scammed. What she was asking you to do was spam blog comments, which no one wants on their blog. Don't hook up with spammers. They are doing unethical things in the first place, so they don't care if they screw over a freelancer. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
25 of 26

Ugh, I have to spend an hour a week clearing out spam posts that were intercepted by my blog's Akismet. If I got my hands on any of the people that post them I'd happily murder them.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
26 of 26

Hello Rhonda,

Sorry to hear about this disheartning experience.

If I gather correctly , you have approved a refund. A good option might have been to escalate to CS. If you are really sure and sincere about your position or situation , you can be sure CS would offer some helpful advice on the issue. On the overall, I wish you better luck with your subsequent projects.  Dont quit. It always gets better when you stick to it.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS