cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a freelance platform or a job board?

Highlighted
Lubomir F Member Since: Jun 22, 2016
1 of 4

Hey guys,

I've been working here on Upwork for a second month now and I love it so far. However I've noticed that there's an increasing tendency for companies to seek part time or full time employes which I don't find appropriate since there are hundreds of places to do that.

What do you think?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

I see it as a "project" list. They need something done and they need someone to do it for them. How you represent yourself is on you. And  yeah, I've seen freelancers here treat the project owner as a "boss" or not manage money well because they are in the mindset that there is an employee type relationship . Gotta move away from that way of thinking.

Not a lot of people can be chiefs though. Most people have to be told what to do or they can't manage themselves. We see it a lot on the forum where people are too afraid to pull decisions on their own or they blame Upwork for their failures or they are upset because Upwork isn't coddling them through the process. 

I just think of myself as a pirate plundering the booty.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

If a company wants to hire a part-time or full-time contractor here, don't knock it.

The more legitimate jobs that there are here, the better.

But the one thing to be cautious about is companies who use some kind of "aggregate service" or aggregate approach whereby they post job listings on many websites simultaneously. If they aren't focusing their search for contractors here on Upwork, it is very possible that the likelihood of hiring a contractor here is lower.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 4

@Lubomir F wrote:

Hey guys,

I've been working here on Upwork for a second month now and I love it so far. However I've noticed that there's an increasing tendency for companies to seek part time or full time employes which I don't find appropriate since there are hundreds of places to do that.

What do you think?

They are not looking for part time or full time employees, they are looking for part time or full time freelancers. As long as they pay through the platform that's not an issue, and as a freelancer you might even consider that kind of thing beneficial as it might only take a few days to get to the 10% fee tier and only a few weeks to get to the 5% fee tier..... I love longer term contracts. No applying, no interviewing, no weeding through job postings, no wasted time.... Work, get paid, rinse, repeat....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS