cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a new oDesk algorithm (mad robot)?

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
1 of 7
I just received two invitations from clients who said they went to the same university as me. I'm wondering if Odesk is now matching up freelancers and clients according to where they studied. (Two invitations a few hours apart seems like more than a coincidence.) While I appreciate the invitations, as this is a global marketplace,and some of my clients probably never even heard of my university, I don't really see the point.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 7
Could it be a scammer who some how traced information about you?
marciamalory
Community Guru
3 of 7
They are two legitimate clients, there is nothing wrong with the jobs themselves, and the info is on my profile for anyone to see.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
4 of 7
Hmmm. Suspicious.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 7
I think the fact that "same university" is such a pointless, irrelevant and restrictive variable makes a new mad robot the prime suspect really - that's the kind of thing they thrive on...
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 7
Hi Marcia, I believe your getting invitations from two clients who went to the same university as you was a mere coincidence. I just got a confirmation from our Team that the information about university education has not been included in helping clients search for freelancers they need or identify the best match for their job post. Other than category, feedback, hourly rate, skills, and tests filters, a variety of metrics, including customer satisfaction and professionalism can be used to find the best match. University education information is not one of them. I hope it clears things up a bit.
~ Valeria
Untitled
marciamalory
Community Guru
7 of 7
Thanks Valeria. My thoughts were in line with Stephen's. I did notice that when you are logged out, it's possible to search freelancers by city now.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS