🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this a scam? Help i am new
Page options
jlacoste
Community Member

Is this a scam? Help i am new

I applied to a job posting it said this.data entry quick project. Detail orientated, fast internet needed respond quickly.
The person then emailed me saying can he email me about the job duties i said sure. I am new here and I’m not sure if i am supposed to just talk to people on this app or is email ok. Then they sent me this job description and it sounds super fishy to me. Please advise.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
jlacoste
Community Member

Again i am new and i posted this hours ago for help. I put an attachment of the email this person sent me and you guys removed it so instead of helping me and telling me what to do if it is really a scam you just remove it and not help me?? This is super frustrating

So far you have not described anything that we can identify as a violation of Upwork ToS.

But yeah... it is probably a scam.

Right now it is fine for you to communicate with the client (prospective client) via email.

The rule prohibiting email BEFORE a contract is in place does not take effect until June 26.

Tell the client you are ready to start work on the project and tell him if he sends you the official Upwork contract offer you will get started immediately.

Report back here in this thread what happens, and we will keep you safe and make sure you don't get scammed.

This is what they emailed me..someone removed my attachment above

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Jeanette:
I am going to advise you to NOT do this job.

From what you described, I don't think the client is actually trying to scam you.

But it sounds like they are trying to trick Google into believing that they have a business location in a place that they really don't have a business location.

I would classify this as a "scheme" rather than a scam.

But they are essentially trying to scam Google.

Upwork officially is sort of a "good corporate neighbor" with some major sites such as Google and Amazon.com and Upwork's ToS asks its users to not violate their ToS. So technically, if this "scheme" violates Google's ToS then it would be a violation of Upwork's ToS.

Ok thank you very much it didn’t sound right to me and I needed another set of eyes to confirm my feeling something was off here. Thank you for all your help.

Hi Jeanette, 

Your attachment and post were edited as they were in violation of the Community Guidelines.

Could you please send me a private message with more information on your report so that I can check and assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members