🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this a scam?
Page options
de0f53ee
Community Member

Is this a scam?

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01248d064608178886

Applied for the post and have been asked to interview on skype.  The post has also been closed.

The post states country origin as Nigeria but the message has come from a different time zone.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PradeepH

Hi Yunus,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the client. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bilal1983
Community Member

Yes, it's a scam.

PradeepH

Hi Yunus,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the client. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
renata101
Community Member

Hi Yunus,

Yes, that fits the normal pattern for scam posts. The top red flag is that the client asked you to communicate outside Upwork, which is against the terms of service (you can find those at the bottom of the page). And good catch on the location/timezone mismatch.

If you're new to Upwork, this is a really helpful article:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Since you've located the forum to ask about the job posting, I also suggest searching for information about fixed-rate and hourly contracts to find out about how they work. 

de0f53ee
Community Member

Thanks for the replies, this would have been my first contract so I was quite excited. Good thing I tend to question things and thank you for the advice signposting useful information.

Yunus M wrote:

Thanks for the replies, this would have been my first contract so I was quite excited. Good thing I tend to question things and thank you for the advice signposting useful information.

We're happy to hear that. Come by any time.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members