🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is this a scam
Page options
meng_ying
Community Member

Is this a scam

I am new to Upwork. Recently I received a message from a hiring manager that I am selected for an interview and she gave me instructions on how to set up the interview on Hangouts. The client is new to Upwork (2020) and only has this one job posted. Their payment method is not verified on Upwork. I've completed the interview on Hangouts with a manager from this company, and he told me that they will send me an offer letter soon. I got suspicious because the manager asked me to add him again on a different Hangout account (becuase he couldn't send out more messages on the old one) and that I couldn't find his name on LinkedIn or Google. Is there a way to check if this job is valid or a scam?

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Community Member

Google Hangouts invite = scam

And everything else you describe (hiring manager, offer letter, etc.) are all part of the most common scam that we see on Upwork. Use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in top right hand corner of job posting. Select "Looks fake" option. Copy your post from this thread and paste it into the text box.

Upwork will take the job down.

Thanks for your reply. What is the most common method for interviews on Upwork? (If Hangouts and Skype interviews are scams). 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tiffany, 

I cannot confirm that all Google Hangouts and Skype interviews are scams. On my very first freelancing gig, I was interviewed through Google Hangouts.

Just the same, I highly recommend that you read up the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. Hopefully, this helps you identify red flags on job posts, and interviews in the future. 

I also checked your account and was unable to identify the client you are referring to. When you have the time, please flag the client's job post as inappropriate so that it goes to the team's queue for their review. 

~ Avery
Upwork
meng_ying
Community Member

Hello Avery,

This is the job I am referring to: **edited for Community Guidelines**

I wonder if there's a way to check that this particular position is legit. 

Thanks,

Ying

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ying, 

I can confirm that actions have been taken against the client's account, and I would recommend that you refrain from communicating with this client until they resolve the issue with their account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
l_laroco
Community Member

Hello. I‘m new to Upwork and would like to get your thoughts on this. I received an offer from a client whose advert is more on looking for management consultant. It’s a one time project that will require a zoom call for an hour. He sent me a calendly link for the call booking. Is this a legit project or should I worry about the job post? The client has been on Upwork for over 2 years and has had 1 5 star rating. Checked his LinkedIn profile and seems that his advert is somewhat connected to what he does as an advisor.

re: " I‘m new to Upwork and would like to get your thoughts on this. I received an offer from a client whose advert is more on looking for management consultant. It’s a one time project that will require a zoom call for an hour. He sent me a calendly link for the call booking. Is this a legit project or should I worry about the job post? The client has been on Upwork for over 2 years and has had 1 5 star rating. Checked his LinkedIn profile and seems that his advert is somewhat connected to what he does as an advisor."

Yes. This is a legitimate job.

You may participate in the Zoom call as long as you have already been hired using an Upwork contract. Until then, you may communicate using the Upwork Messages tool.

re: "What is the most common method for interviews on Upwork? (If Hangouts and Skype interviews are scams)."

Ying:

There ARE some reports of scammers doing interviews using Skype, but thus is very rare.

And when the scammers used Skype, they were using chat only. Scammers don't use Skype audio or video calls because the want to conceal their identities.

If a prospective client wants to do an audio or video chat with you, that person is probably not a scammer.

However, such calls need to be done using Upwork's Messages tool, or the client needs to hire you using an Upwork contract first.

Google Hangouts?

Probably just a scammer.

But if a prospective client asks to speak with you using Google Hangouts, the same rules apply. That is not allowed until they have hired you with an Upwork contract. Tell them:

"Thank you for the invitation to speak with you about your project. I would be happy to talk using Hangouts after you hire me using an Upwork hourly contract. Until then, we can chat using Upwork's Messages tool."

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to accept the offer and tell the
client to send the offer via Upwork but the actual project is done via
zoom? The project entails a 1-hour discussion on management consultation.
It's only a one time project based on his advert.

The contract and payment have to come through Upwork.  Once the contract is signed, you can communicate any way you wish.

re: "Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to accept the offer and tell the
client to send the offer via Upwork but the actual project is done via
zoom?"

Yes, definitely.

In no way does any work need to be done using Upwork communication tools.

I have personally done many jobs that consisted purely of consulting through Zoom or other communications tools.

Thank you. Appreciate all your responses and advice.

Preston H wrote:

Google Hangouts invite = scam

Quite misleading, especially for newbies. I was hired for a new contract yesterday and billed my first hour via... Google Hangouts. It's just one factor that works in combination with more important factors (ie. no hiring history, payment not verified) to give a freelancer an overall picture of legitimacy. 

So yeah—all Google Hangouts invites are not scams!

sufi_z
Community Member

Upwork has 80% Scam. Upwork mostly showing payment verified but  Upwork insecure earning plate form. 

1st scam ******************************$

I worked with someone and fixed his Router & Server's after he sends me a Check via mail shipping tracking detail mention on it. check amount $4370 Bank name **Edited for Community Guidelines**
I submit in my bank and bank verified money showing in my account and guys said, you got your money. Thank you very much.
After one day I opened my bank account check amount showing on hold & reverse back. I tried to email him no response. the number going on VM, Called my bank charged my $12 for check bonce. F***

2nd scam Discraption******************************$

Your resume has been reviewed online , the Human Resources of the company has decided to give you a chance to proceed to the next employment process, you have been considered and scheduled for an online interview to discuss more about the position offered.
Kindly follow steps below to proceed further with the Job briefing and Interview

STEP 1: You are required to set up a Gmail account on (www.gmail.com) then download/install the app from you app store i.e for smartphone and for PC you can download one from the Gmail webpage www.google.com/hangouts to download the app.

STEP 2: After this process, you are to add the Interview manager **Edited for Community Guidelines** on Google hangout ( **Edited for Community Guidelines** ) to your buddy list ASAP for the job briefing and comprehensive details. The Interview manager would be online waiting to talk to you. If you have any problem in setting up the Google Hangout or have any questions please email ( **Edited for Community Guidelines** ).

Interview Venue: Online Via Google Hangout
Interview Schedule: ASAP
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life and AD&D Insurance, Employee Wellness and 401k plans. Paid Time Off and Holidays with Generous Company Discounts

Best Regards,
Human Resources Department

Muhammad:
I definitely need to offer a thumbs up to anybody who provides such a vivid Discraption.

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far. I checked the job posts and it seems that both of them are already canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the clients has also been archived. Please, check out the tips in this post to make sure you stay safe and protected while working on Upwork.

Also, please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Sufian Z wrote:

I worked with someone and fixed his Router & Server's after he sends me a Check via mail shipping tracking detail mention on it. check amount $4370 
I submit in my bank and bank verified money showing in my account and guys said, you got your money. Thank you very much.
After one day I opened my bank account check amount showing on hold & reverse back. I tried to email him no response. the number going on VM, Called my bank charged my $12 for check bonce.

If you had not violated Upwork's terms of Service this wouldn't have happened.

You fell for one of the oldest and dumbest scams on the Internet. Of course the check bounced. You didn't for a second believe that any real client would send a real check to a random stranger on the Internet?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ying M wrote:

I am new to Upwork. Recently I received a message from a hiring manager that I am selected for an interview and she gave me instructions on how to set up the interview on Hangouts. The client is new to Upwork (2020) and only has this one job posted. Their payment method is not verified on Upwork. I've completed the interview on Hangouts with a manager from this company, and he told me that they will send me an offer letter soon. I got suspicious because the manager asked me to add him again on a different Hangout account (becuase he couldn't send out more messages on the old one) and that I couldn't find his name on LinkedIn or Google. Is there a way to check if this job is valid or a scam?

If you familiarize yourself with upwork terms, you will recognize scams very fast. For some reason, scammers use the terms hiring manager or similar, not an usual term in the real world. They will conduct an "interview" on google hangout, gain your confidence, maybe promise full time employment (that's not what upwork is for), and finally, if you happen to live in the US, offer to send you a check. Read what happens then below in the response of another freelancer. 

So the first thing you need to recognize is if anything violates upwork ToS, and secondly if they are trying to steal your identity, or money, ot both. 

Finally, anytime you ask yourself if this is a scam, it most likely is. Most clients will not even interview before hiring.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths