🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this a scam
Page options
89b1846c
Community Member

Is this a scam

I've got a job from Upwork, but when I noticed, the job was deleted, but there was a email said that I've got the job and I have to connect with client via Telegram, he/she gave me a link to the website "**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Here's some picture i've taken.

I'm thinking it's my first time doing I just did it this, I have nothing to lose, so I tried. Please let me know if i was scammed.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm not very good at E 😄

Thanks again.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
abu_ansarul-mush
Community Member

Based on the information you provided, it is possible that this could be a scam. Here are some reasons why:

1. The job was deleted: If the job was deleted from Upwork, it is possible that it was a fraudulent job post that was taken down by Upwork. Scammers often use fake job posts to lure people into their schemes.
  2. Connecting via Telegram: Scammers often ask people to communicate with them outside of the platform where the job was posted. This is a red flag because it makes it harder for the platform to track and monitor the communication.
  3. Link to a suspicious website: The website "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" is not a well-known or established website, which could be a sign that it is a fake or fraudulent website.
  4. Request for personal information: Scammers often ask for personal information, such as your bank account or credit card details, which they can use to steal your money or identity.

In general, it is important to be cautious when accepting job offers online, especially if they seem too good to be true or if they involve communication outside of the platform. You should also be wary of requests for personal information or payments. If you suspect that you have been scammed, you should report it to Upwork and your local authorities.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
abu_ansarul-mush
Community Member

Based on the information you provided, it is possible that this could be a scam. Here are some reasons why:

1. The job was deleted: If the job was deleted from Upwork, it is possible that it was a fraudulent job post that was taken down by Upwork. Scammers often use fake job posts to lure people into their schemes.
  2. Connecting via Telegram: Scammers often ask people to communicate with them outside of the platform where the job was posted. This is a red flag because it makes it harder for the platform to track and monitor the communication.
  3. Link to a suspicious website: The website "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" is not a well-known or established website, which could be a sign that it is a fake or fraudulent website.
  4. Request for personal information: Scammers often ask for personal information, such as your bank account or credit card details, which they can use to steal your money or identity.

In general, it is important to be cautious when accepting job offers online, especially if they seem too good to be true or if they involve communication outside of the platform. You should also be wary of requests for personal information or payments. If you suspect that you have been scammed, you should report it to Upwork and your local authorities.

Thanks alot, now I know, he/she blocked me 😄 LOL but I want to report thier number to the Police, how can I? I'm not american, but the number is from Massachusetts

re: "but I want to report thier number to the Police, how can I? I'm not american, but the number is from Massachusetts"

No.

Don't waste your time thinking about reporting this to police. That's not how this works. This is not a police matter.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/problem-solve-here-no-FTC-BBC-FBI-PD-etc/m-p/678783

yofazza
Community Member

You can post your questions to ChatGPT to get wrong but convincing answers/advices.

Yes it's a scam, look at the link at Sophie's answer below, or here's a specific link about Scam

Beware of AI-written forum replies

The police does not handle these cases. You mentionned the job was already taken down. If you see any suspicious activities in the future you can flag the job post as inappropriate 

Report Suspicious User Activity – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Hey Abu Ansarul M I also posted in the community a while back just before you. I have also faced some similar fraud, in which our time, payment and jobs are getting wasted due to not taking any step of Upwork after deleting all our connections.

Abu Ansarul M wrote:

If you suspect that you have been scammed, you should report it to Upwork and your local authorities.

Very important to read/edit what was generated to avoid spreading false information.

sofia2008
Community Member

Vux N wrote:

I'm thinking it's my first time doing I just did it this, I have nothing to lose, so I tried.

This is a scam.

You can loose your account. You are not ready to start working on Upwork. Lot of work to do before. Read the following post and links to learn.

Solved: To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community

😞 I'm very sorry, this is my first time so I want to try.... I'll be careful after this

rajansharma81
Community Member

Hey Vux I also posted in the community a while back just before you. I have also faced some similar fraud, in which our time, payment and jobs are getting wasted due to not taking any step of Upwork after deleting all our connect.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members