🐈 Community
bethanyanneb

Is this a scam?

I just signed up on Upwork a few days ago and submitted quite a few proposals. I got a messsage from a client who wants me for a transcription job and he said I needed to take a five-minute test for a forty minute audio transcription. So, I took the test, transcribed the first five minutes and I sent it to him via Upwork messages. He soon told me to check my mail and he gave his Skype and Gmail account. We soon communicated via Skype and Gmail and I was asking for a feedback for my work (because I was relatively new). He didn't give me any, instead he asked for my correctness (from 0-100) and if I was comfortable with the accent in the audio. I said I was. Then he hired me, right on the spot, gave his terms and conditions (payment to be made twice a month on the 15th and 30th) and asked me to transcribe the whole audio. He also asked me for my Upwork profile. After finishing, I sent him my files via Gmail and via Upwork messages. A day after, the client messaged me via Skype if I was finished and asked me to send the file again, which I did, again. I was asking for some feedback but he just asked me how do I think was my performance?

He gave me another audio file to transcribe again and I worked on it. 

I was just now browsing through my Upwork profile, and it didn't show that I have any active job/contract with him. Am I tricked into doing free work for this client? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r

@Bethany Anne B wrote:

I was just now browsing through my Upwork profile, and it didn't show that I have any active job/contract with him. Am I tricked into doing free work for this client? Thank you.

Go to your My Jobs page

Do you see any active contracts there? If not you are working for free...

my jobs.jpg

motyduke

@Bethany Anne B wrote:

I just signed up on Upwork a few days ago and submitted quite a few proposals. I got a messsage from a client who wants me for a transcription job and he said I needed to take a five-minute test for a forty minute audio transcription. So, I took the test, transcribed the first five minutes and I sent it to him via Upwork messages. He soon told me to check my mail and he gave his Skype and Gmail account. We soon communicated via Skype and Gmail and I was asking for a feedback for my work (because I was relatively new). He didn't give me any, instead he asked for my correctness (from 0-100) and if I was comfortable with the accent in the audio. I said I was. Then he hired me, right on the spot, gave his terms and conditions (payment to be made twice a month on the 15th and 30th) and asked me to transcribe the whole audio. He also asked me for my Upwork profile. After finishing, I sent him my files via Gmail and via Upwork messages. A day after, the client messaged me via Skype if I was finished and asked me to send the file again, which I did, again. I was asking for some feedback but he just asked me how do I think was my performance?

He gave me another audio file to transcribe again and I worked on it. 

Never never accept a job outside of Upwork. if you have contact with your client with mail or skype, start to work only if you have the contract started in Upwork ! If not yes it is a scam and especially if he asked for test for free !!!! Forbiden....but what do Upwork against that ??

re: "Am I tricked into doing free work for this client?"

Yes.

You worked for free.

You must really love doing transcription, because it sounds like you just transcribed about 85 minutes of audio for free.

You should embrace the fact that you worked for free, that you made a mistake, and that you will never be paid for that work. You should stop communicating with that client. Learn from your mistakes and move forward.

petra_r

Ask the client politely to hire you on Upwork and pay for the work done so far. If he does: FINE.

If not, report the client to Upwork.

Walking away doing nothing is a really bad idea, as it simply teaches the client how easy it is to scam naive newbies without any consequences.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bethany Anne,

Could you please confirm if the offer you accepted earlier today is for the job you mentioned here?

Untitled
Learning Paths