cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

nivre-44
Ervin M Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
1 of 8

I'm newbie in upwork, and I've submitted a proposal with the following question:
Can we get original files for LOGO design?

What i want to ask is, is it confirmed that I will get the payment when I send my works? I'm afraid that i work for free, as the client payment method is not verified.

And I want to know more about scams that can happen to us.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

@Ervin M wrote:

I'm newbie in upwork, and I've submitted a proposal with the following question:
Can we get original files for LOGO design?

What i want to ask is, is it confirmed that I will get the payment when I send my works?

OBVIOUSLY you would not do any work before you are properly hired, have an upwork contract, the job is on your My Jobs page, and is either a fully funded fixed rate contract or an hourly contract.

I am not sure if the client is expecting you to send originl files for anything as part of the proposal (which is a complete "NO!" or whether the client is simply asking if, after hiring a freelancer properly and normally through Upwork, they will get the original files.

nivre-44
Ervin M Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
3 of 8

Yeah, I mean is after I get the job, sorry.

Thanks for your answer!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 8

@Ervin M wrote:

Yeah, I mean is after I get the job, sorry.

Then what makes you think there is a scam?

Once you are hired you have either...

1) A fixed rate job, which should be funded with the money in Escrow

or

2) An hourly job where you log your working time with the tracker.

Provided the client's payment method is verified before you start working everything is fine.

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
5 of 8

Ervin M,

What i want to ask is, is it confirmed that I will get the payment when I send my works? I'm afraid that i work for free, as the client payment method is not verified.

Keep talking with the client about the job requirements but consider it an interview, until the client sends you a job offer. Then, since it seems you are interested in the job, accept the offer. Upwork will prompt you and you'll see a green message saying 'Accept' or 'Decline' - and you simply click on the 'Accept'. The rest is straightforward. 

Thereafter, when you click on Reports - Overview on your main menu, you will see the amount of payment you agreed with the client under Work-In-Progress. You can now start working, because it shows your payment is in Escrow, the money meant for the work having been secured with Upwork. 

Once the work/files are ready, it is normal to send the originals to the client because that is what the client is paying for. The client reviews the work, asks for amendments, if any needed, and once satisfied, releases your money.

Note: The client also has concerns and would not release your money with 'copies' or 'non-originals' (I've not checked your field) because there's a chance you could also vanish without submitting the originals. But as Petra has already advised you, see a contract first. You do not have one as long as you see 'payment not verified'.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 8

Hi Ervin, welcome to Upwork!

Please review our Payment Protection Programs, safety tips and freelancer resources, and follow up with any questions or concerns you might have so we can advise.

Untitled
konservasi
Ace Contributor
Handy R Member Since: Jul 14, 2017
7 of 8

Please make sure that you are getting hired from the employer. After the employer hired you,he/she should transfer the money to the upwork,so dont worry brother. You wont get scam as long as you are hired.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

If you are hired by a client using an hourly contract, then the original files do not belong to you. All files you produce while working for the client belong to the client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS