cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

Highlighted
Brendan W Member Since: Oct 15, 2014
1 of 20
Hey everybody, This is my first time using Odesk, and I am wary of whether this job posting is a scam or not. They have no history or verified payment (they just opened an account on Oct. 15th). It is an hourly paid base job. I was emailed maybe a couple of hours after submitting my application. They told me that I needed to create a Yahoo Instant Messenger account to contact the Hiring Manager. They said I have an interview 9AM this Thursday and to contact him if I need to reschedule. Thanks in advance for any help!
Highlighted
2 of 20
Note: This is a more or less simple looking data entry job.
Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
3 of 20
Some people claim that anytime a client wants to use Yahoo Messenger, it's a scam, but I'm not sure if everyone who wants to use it is going to scam you. I've used Skype a number of times for interviews, even with people whose payment is not verified, but never Yahoo Messanger. You really don't have enough information to go on to decide if it's a scam. If you are still interested in the job and you have the time, then have the interview. After that, you might have a better idea of whether it's a scam. If they want you to buy something and then they'll reimburse you, it's probably a scam(even if they send you the check first). If they want to work off oDesk, it's probably a scam. Just be careful, use some common sense and you should be fine.
Highlighted
4 of 20
Great, thank you. I have the interview soon and I will check back with some more details!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
5 of 20
Hi Brendan, As mentioned, these jobs are not always scams, but some scammers do prey on new freelancers because they have little knowledge about how oDesk works. I dealt with something like this and they interviewed via Yahoo messenger (which I thought was a little strange). I was curious and something didn't seem right. It turned out to be a scam, so I walked away. In my experience, a lot of clients interview via Skype, but clients have their own preferences i.e email, telephone etc It's a good thing that you posted in the forum, as a lot of long-term freelancers can give you good advice. Always use your gut and if something is a red flag/sounds too good to be true, then you should probably walk away. All the best.
Highlighted
6 of 20
How did you figure out it was a scam??? This sounds almost exactly like my situation! But man, this would be one elaborate scam...I already spent nearly 45 minutes in the interview, and then another 45 minutes going over the job offer, etc. some time later....
Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
7 of 20
I was also contacted when I was a new freelancer, by the way of the client wanting to interview me on Yahoo. They wanted you to buy "equipments" and they would send a check via FedEx. Just as a good rule of thumb, if a client wants you to pay you in any way other than on the platform, inform them it is against TOS (not all clients are aware of this, so don't assume they are trying to scam you if they suggest it) and you can get your account suspended. Use your gut and if you have any questions just come to the forums and ask. Welcome to oDesk.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 20
The sole fact that a client asks for a messaging service interview is not an indication that it's a scam. But Yahoo Messenger?!? I mean who uses Yahoo Messenger in a work related context? Who uses Yahoo Messenger at all? Usually professional people would go for Skype or Google Hangouts.
-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
9 of 20
Ok, it really all does seem legitimate. It was a very lengthy and thorough interview and if he was trying to scam me, then he sure is putting in quite a bit of quality time.... However....since this is entirely new to me, there is this other thing. I haven't started work yet, but, he wants me to wait for a check to be mailed to me that I am to use to purchase the equipment/software necessary for the job. Kind of unusual.... So I would be using this check with their trusted vendor for this computer accounting software, as relates to the job.... Also, the client does have an online presence, but it is overseas....
Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
10 of 20
You cannot accept any payment outside of the system. The check will bounce and you will probably get your account suspended for doing so. This scam has been on this site since I started on here 4 years ago. Please report the post quickly. (Please read my earlier reply to you above)
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS