Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
11 of 20
Don't do it. They'll send you a check and when it has been deposited, you'll think it's processed when it isn't. You'll then be responsible for fees from your bank etc. Flag the job to oDesk support. Some clients do ask you to purchase items etc for them (I've done it myself), but all transactions should be handled via oDesk.
Highlighted
Brendan W Member Since: Oct 15, 2014
12 of 20
No chance it's not a scam, huh....
Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 20
It's a scam. Other freelancers have had the misfortune of dealing with it. It has been on here for years. They tend to approach new freelancers who are still learning about the site. Some people have had to involve the police etc. Stay away and apply for something else.
Highlighted
14 of 20
Great, thank you. I am glad I posted here to get the heads up. There was something fishy from the get go.
Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 20
I'm glad that you came here. Some freelancers had to learn the hard way.. unfortunately. If you can, flag the job so other freelancers don't apply for the role.
Highlighted
16 of 20
Yes, I did, thanks. Man, I thought I had an eye for when I was being tricked - those guys are pretty good.
Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 20
Yep, they are very crafty. Also, some of them claim to be associated with a legitimate company. They'll even send you a link to a company site, but they have no association with that company at all. They try to look as convincing as possible. If you ever have doubts you can contact that company directly and ask them if they're hiring on oDesk. I've had to do it myself. So, also look out for that scam. I don't want you to get too paranoid though, a lot of us work with some nice clients.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
18 of 20
I quote everything, especially the last line. Always be careful, but never be scared. There are a lot of good clients out there, hopefully you will find out! :-)
“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
19 of 20
They are known scammers here. But like others mentioned already, there are good clients out there. And in case of any doubts, just ask the forum for advice. :-)
Highlighted
20 of 20
Thank you everyone!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS