🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this a scam?
Page options
f49fc9b8
Community Member

Is this a scam?

Hi everyone! I just got an interview from **Edited for Community Guidelines** and they give me an offer as translation. They also sent me the contract.
While they start to say I need to buy some software for a mini office at home. They send me a check to do it while the check is on hold. Then they ask if I can use my credit card and the company will cover my cost. I’m just start thinking if they are a scam. I googled and find about 5 years ago people are facing same thing with me. I suppose I meet a spam ? While I already told them my information... will this have any bad influence..?
Thank you!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Ruhan F wrote:
While they start to say I need to buy some software for a mini office at home. They send me a check to do it while the check is on hold. Then they ask if I can use my credit card and the company will cover my cost. I’m just start thinking if they are a scam.

Yes, of course it is a scam. It's one of the oldest and dumbest scams on the net. You have also not been hired,  the people you spoke to are not from that company, or who they say they are, there is no job and there is no home office.  The check is (obviously) fake.

You have also violated Upwork's terms of service by communicating with the client outside of Upwork before being hired.

f49fc9b8
Community Member

I think it’s a scam as well just they pay a lot of attention at the details so that makes me a little big conscious
Sorry it’s my first here at the platform and the first interview. I don’t know it’s a violation

Hi Ruhan,

I checked and it looks like the job post you're referring to has already been actioned as per our processes. I can confirm communicating with a client outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of our Terms of ServiceWe find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

~Andrea
Upwork
ceefaeca
Community Member

Not sure if it is a scam. But don't buy anything with the hope that the client will cover the cost later. 

The client should add the cost of that software in the contract they sent you, in my opinion.

Thank you for the advice! Totally agree with you...
petra_r
Community Member

Aru B wrote:

Not sure if it is a scam.

How can you "not be sure" if it's a scam? It is, 100%, obviously, without any shadow of a doubt, clearly, a scam. AND a violation of the terms of service.

Aru B wrote:

The client should add the cost of that software in the contract they sent you, in my opinion.

The client didn't hire her, the contract is as fake as all the rest of it, including the check. It really is one of the oldest scams on the Internet.

ceefaeca
Community Member

Petra R wrote:
Aru B wrote:

How can you "not be sure" if it's a scam? It is, 100%, obviously, without any shadow of a doubt, clearly, a scam. AND a violation of the terms of service.

Because I did not come across anything such that yet. Personally, in my work no one asks me to buy anything mostly they provide or I already have everything needed. I did not mean to emphasise the scam part but the later thing that never to buy anything on your side if client says to pay later. 

Petra R wrote:

Aru B wrote:

The client didn't hire her, the contract is as fake as all the rest of it, including the check. It really is one of the oldest scams on the Internet.

Oh, so she is not talking about Upwork contract? Are you guys talking about a bank cheque? 

petra_r
Community Member

Aru B wrote:

Petra R wrote:
Aru B wrote:

How can you "not be sure" if it's a scam?

Because I did not come across anything such that yet.

That is because that scam only targets US based freelances. Just because you, with your very limited experience, have not come across something does not mean it doesn't exist.

Aru B wrote:

Are you guys talking about a bank cheque? 

What other type of check (cheque) is there?

ceefaeca
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Aru B wrote:

Petra R wrote:
Aru B wrote:

How can you "not be sure" if it's a scam?

Because I did not come across anything such that yet.

That is because that scam only targets US based freelances. Just because you, with your very limited experience, have not come across something does not mean it doesn't exist.

Not sure where you find that I am declaring that these scams do not exist!! I was emphasising something which you subtracted in the quote. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths