🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is this allowed to remove/replace brand n...
Page options
sunnykingisup
Community Member

Is this allowed to remove/replace brand name/logo from the product pictures or the products itself?

Hello,

I completely understand that removing a watermark from a picture that is copyrighted is illegal.
But my question is that is removing the logo of a company from a product's picture or from the product itself is allowed to remove or replace someone other's logo? because many times people have to sell a product on their online store and that same product is also being sold on other stores so they ask to get just the brand name/logo remove from the pictures and products or replace them with theirs.

There is also one other reason that many clients I saw they mention that the product pictures have been given to them by their manufacturer and they allowed them to change the logos with their logos.
Can anyone please guide me in this scenario? So that if this is something which is not allowed then I would not do this work for any client.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Muhammad E wrote:

Hello,

I completely understand that removing a watermark from a picture that is copyrighted is illegal.
But my question is that is removing the logo of a company from a product's picture or from the product itself is allowed to remove or replace someone other's logo? because many times people have to sell a product on their online store and that same product is also being sold on other stores so they ask to get just the brand name/logo remove from the pictures and products or replace them with theirs.

There is also one other reason that many clients I saw they mention that the product pictures have been given to them by their manufacturer and they allowed them to change the logos with their logos.
Can anyone please guide me in this scenario? So that if this is something which is not allowed then I would not do this work for any client.

Thank you!

The explanations that you are given why they want to have it done are fishy at best and make no logical sense. It is probably illegal, because the product pictures must be copyrighted too, and at least highly unethical. What will keep a the client who cheats in his business from trying to cheat you? (Hint: read all the "my client asked for a refund 2 weeks after the job closed" threads.)

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad E wrote:

Ask for a release from the rights owner.... EVERY photo or graphic is copyrighted. If I take a snap of my dog with my phone I own the copyright. If I draw an elephant onto a paper napkin I own the copyright too.

dacc16d2
Community Member

Yes 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths