🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this an abusive relationship? Should I lea...
Page options
yelenan
Community Member

Is this an abusive relationship? Should I leave for good?

We had our ups and downs, me and Upwork. The ups were not very high, and the downs were pushing the ground with such a force that they threatened to create a gravitational singularity.

I backed off from the platform again (think it's maybe 4th time since 2018) because... well... we can all agree there's something seriously wrong with the platform. I made some mistakes, too, don't get me wrong, should've done some things differently. But I had bills to pay and needed to focus on my off-Upwork clients who offer much better rates. My profile was eventually set to private due to a lack of earning.

But then, like any gal trapped in an abusive relationship, I decided to revamp my profile and give it another chance. Why? I got an e-mail saying people were checking out my profile.

1.png

[Should've listened to my mother and acknowledge the red flag instead of finding excuses like "it's a work in progress, they're developing the feature, it'll get better, Upwork will get better, surely"]

I had some leftover connects from the time before they introduced this new scheme. I applied to a project that looked very professional and was fit for my skills. And indeed, the client was very professional. He must've really liked my proposal and was kind enough to reply even though he rejected it. Here's what he said:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I thought I just don't show up in search results. I thought clients could see my profile when I bid on their projects. Why would you take my connects and then refuse to show my profile to interested clients? Why? Why are you trying to put me down every step of the way? Why don't you respect my time and effort? Why are you doing this? What's wrong with you?!

I don't care about the connects, I didn't pay for them and I never will. I never felt protected and appreciated but I still agreed to give you 20% of my earnings and the priceless time I didn't have. You are an abuser and a liar and I don't think you'll ever change. So unfortunate, you have so much potential...

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jelena,

I`m sorry to hear the experience you had on Upwork. 

Regarding your profile visibility, I’ve reset your profile visibility back to public. Just so that you are aware, freelancers with no earnings in 30 days will have their profile set to private (locked) automatically. To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here.
If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Jelena M wrote:

I thought I just don't show up in search results. I thought clients could see my profile when I bid on their projects. Why would you take my connects and then refuse to show my profile to interested clients?

What in the world are you talking about?  That metric does **NOT** include profile views that resulted from proposals, only from searches.  Clients you send proposals to *DO* see your profile if they choose to click on the link to your profile on the proposal (NOT if they saved your profile and tried to access it some time later from outside the proposal)

That makes your entire post a bit of a pointless rant, considering that it is based entirely on a false premise.

And you can ask for your profile set back to public any time, so you'll appear in searches again too.

yelenan
Community Member

Yeah, it's a rant, it's obvious from the title.

I don't care if the views come from search results or proposals - I received an e-mail out of the blue saying my profile was viewed when it clearly wasn't. What's up with that? It prompted me to log in and that's when I decided to look around and try to score a project. I submitted a proposal after I received the said mail. Read the post again.

If the moderator didn't delete the screenshot, you would have seen that the client clearly said they couldn't access my profile. I proposed, he thought my rate was too high, declined the offer but wanted to check my profile to "see my credentials and work history" (not 100% sure it happened in exactly that order). "One never knows what could happen in the future and we may need someone with your attitude", he said. I would've never found out if the client wasn't kind enough to let me know, even after he declined my proposal. I wanted my profile to stay private and be visible only to clients I wanted to connect with.

petra_r
Community Member

Jelena M wrote:

I wanted my profile to stay private and be visible only to clients I wanted to connect with.

Then just set it to "private" from your end.

Clients who have your url and those who you apply to can then still access it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members