🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this client worth working with?
Page options
6a9346f2
Community Member

Is this client worth working with?

Hello Community, I have been working on a fixed-price project for the last 3 months. The project has been divided into 5 milestones but unfortunately, we are still stuck on the first milestone. It happened that the client did not have a clear idea of how the end product was supposed to be and so he has been requesting changes to the initial deliverables that we had agreed on before we started the contract and also adding others. This has made the first milestone take longer than we had prospected. 

As I took the project I was only a few months into the platform and thus was not very familiar with the dos and don'ts of the platform. At the start of the project, the client had requested me not to take any other contract so that I could solely focus on his project which I did. The project had been budgeted for $3000, the first milestone thus had been allocated for $600. 

I now happened to ask the client to make a partial payment for the work I had done in the 3 months and he refused to citing that he could not pay for a percentage of work but only after the whole milestone had been finished. I explained to him that I had fully dedicated my time in the 3 months without having to work on any other project and bills had accumulated over time from the fact that the milestone went far beyond the time I expected. I know I at first should not have bought his request of not taking any other project but am currently trying to fix what I can at the moment. I actually don't want to work with this particular client any longer since his payment for 3 months of work is close to no pay and he's not ready to work on an hourly contract.

Here's a look at what I could find about him:

Client's details from a job postClient's details from a job postShould I be concerned by the fact that:

1. He has posted 10 jobs and has 3 hires.

2. He has 3 hires, 1 active(which is the one am working on) but has spent 0.

Also please help me make the following decisions:

1. Should I continue working with this client?

2. Is partial payment allowed?

3. If it's allowed what should I do if the client has refused to pay it? I have done more than 90% of the first milestone.

4. The client was demanding that I put all the source files on his server. Should I? I currently host all the source files for the project. I had previously put the source files to the client's server but deleted everything after the client started being untrustworthy.

The client has actually reposted the job on Upwork again and I guess he's looking for my replacement. Kindly help me come to the right conclusion on this. At the start of the project, I barely knew the rules of the platform. My bad. 

2 REPLIES 2
pgiambalvo
Community Member

My advice is don't send them anything until he releases the first milestone and you actually withdraw it into your bank. Then send him what you've done so far and cancel the contract.

bobafett999
Community Member

Unless the buyer pays you, the files are your property. My hunch tells me he is not going to pay and get ready for a bad review.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members