🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this job posting suspicious?
Page options
katerinasamara
Community Member

Is this job posting suspicious?

Hello! I've received an invite to an interview but I'm a bit concerned it might be a catch...

The client wants to hire 250 freelancers to read and record 20 phrases each in Greek. He also says he will create a milestone for 5 dollars and if the recordings are approved the rest of the money will be deposited...

The more I think about it the more suspicious I feel. I wanted to ask more experienced upworkers what they think and also ask if there's anything I could do about it?

The job also requires downloading an app by the sounds of it...
10 REPLIES 10
florydev
Community Member

Yeah, even if it isn't I would pass.  If I am going to get paid $X, I am not going to do it for $5.00 with the promise of being paid $X.  Even if this is not complete crap, you might as well assume you are getting paid $5.00.  I wouldn't install someone else's app on my computer for $5.00.  

I think your instincts are good and you don't want any part of this.

moonraker
Community Member

I've done similar in the past when I've needed help with my JSS.

Jobs like this come around every now and then, they're quick and easy and take just a few minutes. The whole payment was put in escrow first when I did it, though, so that's different, but the job description itself doesn't ring any bells to me. I'd really need to be able to see the client's profile before saying whether or not I'd be comfortable with this one, however. 

Just be extra careful when downloading the app.

Thank you for the advice!
That's 2 quite different opinions! But both very useful!

I checked the clients profile and previous reviews.... most people seem happy with him. A few haven't given any reviews... He's posted a lot of jobs in the past and they all seem quick ones.

So I've sent in a proposal and I've said I'm happy to send in a sample of me speaking Greek but do the job if the full amount is in escrow. I also suggested splitting the work into 2 milestones if he prefers. I asked if downloading the app is necessary or if the job can be done a different way. But if it comes to that then I will be careful!

He also asked to fill in a form with some personal information like name and email adress... I sent a link to my profile instead and said that he can contact me through upwork messenger... I don't think I'll get accepted for the job! haha But I gave it a try because the job itself seems quick and simple and I could do with adding some history to my profile and I could use some pocket money Smiley LOL 

We'll see what happens! I'll let you know!

You NEVER need to consider "email address" a request for personal information, and you never need to turn down a request for an email address.

You can simply create a project-specific email address.

Clients don't care if you don't provide your prime email address.

They just want to be able to contact you via email.

But is that not against upwork rules? Well not against the rules but upwork says it doesn't guarantee protection for anything said outside upwork.

I didn't think it was normal for people to discuss upwork work over email... have I got it wrong?🤔

Hi Katerina, 

I checked the job post you are referring to, and it doesn't look like there's anything suspicious with the job post or the client. If you job post is suspicious, or raises a red flag, you have the option of flagging the job post as inappopriate. 

I would like to confirm that you and your client can opt to exchange emails and communicate outside of Upwork. This is not a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. However, its best to submit all work and contract negotiations through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Katerina S wrote:
But is that not against upwork rules?

Of course not. You can communicate with your client however you like.

Katerina S wrote:
But is that not against upwork rules? Well not against the rules but upwork says it doesn't guarantee protection for anything said outside upwork.

Upwork does not "guarantee against" anything said ON Upwork either. As long as you get PAID via Upwork, you can communicate however you like.

Katerina S wrote:
I didn't think it was normal for people to discuss upwork work over email... have I got it wrong?🤔

You have it wrong.

Thank you everyone for the advice and info! I was obviously worried about stuff I didn't need to worry about!

Still wouldn't do it if the full amount isn't in escrow though... so will wait and see what he says!

re: "Still wouldn't do it if the full amount isn't in escrow though..."

That is fine.

My own policy is that I do not do ANY work that is not funded in escrow.

But I do not care about whether the "full project" is funded.

I start out with SMALL milestones. To test whether or not the client can be trusted with a fixed-price contract.

That's why I suggested splitting the work in 2 milestones. From the job description he wanted the full work delivered with only part of the payment in escrow
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members