🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is this potential client disreputable?
Page options
jimlevi
Community Member

Is this potential client disreputable?

I applied on UpWork for a job titled **edited for Community Guidelines** I was contacted by the poster and have entered into a conversation about the position, but the proposal has been taken down.  They told me "... we are taking down the job post via Upwork because the COVID-19 Pandemic."  While the opportunity for work is important and enticing, it smells fishy to me. I'll paste part of their letter to me below. I would really appreciate any thoughts or guidance you might have.

Thanks,
Jim Levi

**edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
jr-translation
Community Member

Jim L wrote:

I applied on UpWork for a job titled "Creative Writer With Proofreading Experience." I was contacted by the poster and have entered into a conversation about the position, but the proposal has been taken down.  They told me "... we are taking down the job post via Upwork because the COVID-19 Pandemic."  While the opportunity for work is important and enticing, it smells fishy to me. I'll paste part of their letter to me below. I would really appreciate any thoughts or guidance you might have.

Thanks,
Jim Levi

<<Your portfolio published on (UPWORK) has been reviewed by our HR Department at (Round The Clock Nursery Inc) and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise.... Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position.Note: Notification will go round and this job post on Upwork will be closed, Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position.>>

Flag the job post and move on. You have no portfolio, so they obviously never had a look at your profile. As a freelancer you hardly ever deal with the HR department. So that is always a very easy to spot fraud indicator.

JoanneP

Hi Jim,

If you see a job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate, you can flag it using the flagging option found on every job post or Upwork profile. This sends a notification directly to Upwork, allowing us to investigate and take the appropriate measures. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths