Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this some sort of scam?

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
11 of 17

I think it would be a good idea to report this message/job. Surely, other freelancers got the message too, but if no one flags it, many will fall of the scam. Better inform Upwork about it. You can send a message to Customer Supprt.

jaleesadorsey
Jaleesa D Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
12 of 17

I contacted customer support and this was their response:

--

**edited for Community Guidelines**

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 17

Yeah, I find most scammers are smart enough to make it look innocent. That's an obvious scam but CS probably has no clue. I'd just flag it. Someone else will get scammed and communicate with them in the message center and it'll make it more obvious but maybe reporting it gets it seen by risk management who is probably more experienced with this type of posting.

Sad though that they say it's fine. Some noob will go ahead and print checks or whatever.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 17

I would suggest you respond to them suggesting they triple check as Upwork has closed down the same scam 100 or more times over the past couple of years, with the exact same wording being used by the scammers....

The job posting itself is harmless enough, the message you were sent is one we have seen over and over again in similar threads....

Like the new profile pic 🙂

jaleesadorsey
Jaleesa D Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
15 of 17

When I went back to the job listing it did look harmless, so I contacted CS to tell them a little more. I copied and pasted the entire message that was sent to me. What I posted above was their response.

Thanks for saying that you like my profile pic. Smiley Happy

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
16 of 17

A good rule of thumb is that if you have to ask whether it's a scam then it's probably a scam. As the saying goes, if it looks like a duck, dances like a duck and makes love like a duck... then it's just possible that it might be a duck. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 17

Hi Jaleesa,

I will double-check with the team about this job  posting and actions will be taken if necessary.

Thank you for reporting.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS