🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this spam/Scam?
Page options
a80127a6
Community Member

Is this spam/Scam?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thoughts? Is this spam/scam? Applied to this job and got this back. Had scam issues with a similar (but somewhat different) invitation previously...

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Yes it is.  One golden and absolute Upwork rule is not to communicate with any client off site until you have a formal Upwork contract firmly in place, and even then, it is best to be cautious until you really know who you are working for. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on 'Help and Support', which will take you to a mass of information about how to get started on Upwork and more. To the right of this page you also have "Working on Upwork 101" and "New to Upwork 101". 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
colettelewis
Community Member

Yes it is.  One golden and absolute Upwork rule is not to communicate with any client off site until you have a formal Upwork contract firmly in place, and even then, it is best to be cautious until you really know who you are working for. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on 'Help and Support', which will take you to a mass of information about how to get started on Upwork and more. To the right of this page you also have "Working on Upwork 101" and "New to Upwork 101". 

a80127a6
Community Member

Thanks. I was just going to flag it but figured I'd ask. I had run into something similar a few months back on another site and figured it out before any real harm was done. Appreciate the feedback

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Steve, can you be more specific what you are labeling as spam IE an example? Thanks!

Hey there. I attached a screen shot of the request from the job once the
poster contacted me. It was a request to set up a Skype meeting before
getting a contract. Someone removed the screen shot after that but also let
me know that it was a scam (don’t go off site before a contract)…and the
job and proposal has since been removed.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members