cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this the new forum improvement?

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
1 of 11

Is it only me or did the forum completely break down? I can only see the pictures and titles but not the names of posters. The kudos list looks weird without any names.

Is this oDesk's big announced round of improvements? I find it truly ironic that oDesk released an ebook titled "Hire Fast & Build Things - How to recruit and manage a top-notch team of distributed engineers". Maybe your SVP should focus on actually building that team rather than writing about it. Sorry, but this is just plain pathetic at this point.

Ace Contributor
Sk Arif H Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 11

Hi,

You may check the following announcement posted by Valeria:

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/oDesk-Community-Temporary-Technical-Issue/m-p/61204#M333...

And I hope it would be back to normal again Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Arif

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 11

Thanks for responding Arif. The hidden display names is a bug, we're working on fixing asap.

Community Guru
4 of 11

Thanks, Arif. I posted this before the post of the mod you linked and frankly, it doesn't change much on my post.

On a separate note: How does one accumulate 28,000+ hours in less than 5 years?

Ace Contributor
Sk Arif H Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 11

Hi,

Thanks for your separate note Smiley Happy

In reply to your question, I would like to let you know I hardly take a vacation during these 4.5 years of freelancing and I admit that the works I have completed here most easy type of tasks. When you have viewed my profile, you have also seen that currently I have more than 50 contracts and some of the clients are new to oDesk (but referred by old clients) ! But even they didn't ask that question during the interview as they know how I work. Actually I was expecting to face this question from the clients, not from you. I think clients preferred to have their work done rather asking this type of question Smiley Happy (Actually, I face this question more than once, the question was asked on a local forum and the question was added with more flavors. The result is, I have left the forum as a participant.)

I know that this is a forum which has great contributors and I also believe without my contribution, it would be even better at least. From now on, I would focus to spend my time on catching new clients.

The reason I started to participate here because I said to someone (from the management) to participate, if I found any solution. I do not know what does it mean to you when you promise or give words to someone, but for me, it's more valuable to keep that promise when I made something like that.

On second thought, why shouldn't I consider your "comment" as a hate speech under section 6.

Thanks for everything and all the best to you Smiley Happy

Arif

Community Guru
6 of 11

Arif, the intent behind my question was certainly not to offend you much less to make you stop contributing on this forum. And no, I don't believe it would be a better place if you weren't here. That said, I did wonder how it was humanly possible to put in 18-20 hrs days every day for years while still finding time to post to help others and do fixed price projects. We're all different, so more power to you for being a fountain of energy. Smiley Wink

Someone else with an equally high number said they've been on oDesk since before it was even called oDesk and the actual number is even higher but they lost some hours due to a profile merge. Based on your reaction, you do seem to realize that it raises question and got very defensive. I wonder why. The beauty of the world I live in is that the ability to speak freely is not only encouraged, but it's a basic right. It's also not dependant on whether clients (or anyone else for that matter) that I have nothing to do with ask or didn't ask a particular question. If you want to flag my question as hate speech, then please be my guest. It's not going to make a difference in my life.

All the best to you as well. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
7 of 11

...and you don't know who s/he is anyway... Man Wink

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
8 of 11

OK, play nice kiddies. It's not hate speech. I have made similar observations regarding other freelancers. The total hours worked vs. the total period of time issue is either a bug in the system or something oDesk should look into. In fact, as oDesk continues to review both freelancer and client accounts, I hope that those metrics are taken into account when determining whether freelancers have committed any violations.

Okay, to make everyone feel better, take a shot, and I'll be the target. Go ahead, take your best shot. I can take it...lol....

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
9 of 11

Hello Arif, 

I won't consider the question hate speech. For me, I'm thinking the person (I can't see the name) is just curious or may want to be like you. There are plenty of reasons for asking a question like that. 

Anyway as a health care professional, my concern is how your health is holding up to it. 15, 18, or 20 hours a day EVERY single day is very stressful even if the job is easy. I hope you are taking care of yourself too and not just your clients.

There are days I can work for up to 20 hours a day but the following day I won't be able to log-in a single hour because I'll be sleeping haha.

Right now I got plenty of clients (from outside oDesk) asking me to work with them but I simply cannot accept because I'm often too tired with my current schedule (lectures and a bit of writing here and there). How I wish I got the energy to accept all the work being offered to me. I feel bad when I turn down clients, especially the ones offering great rates. You got to share your fountain of energy secret Smiley Tongue

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
10 of 11

Hi KU! (your link works). Kudos for the laughs; "oDesk's big announced round of improvements" ?!?! lol.............................................

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS