🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this usual? Client asks to talk, but does ...
Page options
clairec529
Community Member

Is this usual? Client asks to talk, but does not answer my call.

I receently got a response to a proposal. The client wanted to talk so I proposed a day and time.  I called by video qand phone and got no answer. I sent message but get no response.  What does this mean? Is this usual client behavior on Upwork? My instinct is to call shenanigans and move on.

Claire C.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

Claire E. C wrote:

I receently got a response to a proposal. The client wanted to talk so I proposed a day and time.  I called by video qand phone and got no answer. I sent message but get no response.  What does this mean? Is this usual client behavior on Upwork? My instinct is to call shenanigans and move on.

Claire C.

Prospects vary in their behavior. If someone missed my call, then reached out with an apology, I might reconsider speaking with them. However, in most instances, I would simply drop the prospect and move on. Were you following Upwork's latest rule and using the Upwork message system to make your call? This complicates matters, IMO as the prospect may not be receiving the alert that you are trying to reach them. On the other hand, there are prospects who use calls (on and off Upwork) to seek out new freelancers to scam--so maybe they found a live one before they got to you. Or, maybe it was a legitimate prospect who simply hired the first available and blew off the rest. 

Consider scheduling a call a cost of business and as such, weigh the value of the possible contract against that cost. You may find that for some prospects, this pre-contract cost is not worth it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Did the client confirm the telephone appointment?  I usually ask the client to arrange a date and time that fits his schedule and then let me know so I can calendar it as well.

tlbp
Community Member

Claire E. C wrote:

Claire C.

Prospects vary in their behavior. If someone missed my call, then reached out with an apology, I might reconsider speaking with them. However, in most instances, I would simply drop the prospect and move on. Were you following Upwork's latest rule and using the Upwork message system to make your call? This complicates matters, IMO as the prospect may not be receiving the alert that you are trying to reach them. On the other hand, there are prospects who use calls (on and off Upwork) to seek out new freelancers to scam--so maybe they found a live one before they got to you. Or, maybe it was a legitimate prospect who simply hired the first available and blew off the rest. 

Consider scheduling a call a cost of business and as such, weigh the value of the possible contract against that cost. You may find that for some prospects, this pre-contract cost is not worth it. 

clairec529
Community Member

Thanks for the insights.  I did get an apology today (They were offline yesterday), and I'm to call them tomorrow. I have some reservaions about  using Upwork's system, but guess that's what I have to do.

tlbp
Community Member

Claire E. C wrote:

Thanks for the insights.  I did get an apology today (They were offline yesterday), and I'm to call them tomorrow. I have some reservaions about  using Upwork's system, but guess that's what I have to do.

If you can't see or hear them, check your browser bar. Mine had a little blocked icon that I needed to click to authorize my microphone. (I had to go on another forum for trouble-shooting help to figure it out).

Also, I don't think there is any preview option or pre-call set up. I couldn't find any. Once you click the call icon, you go straight to connecting if the app works. So, if your camera is on--they see you right away. I use one of my better video conferencing apps that does offer this feature to preview my set up before initiating a call via Upwork. 

clairec529
Community Member

Thanks. I really appreciate the additional information. Tech is great but
only when it works.
yitwail
Community Member

Claire E. C wrote:

My instinct is to call shenanigans and move on.

Claire, if by move on you mean withdrawing your proposal, I wouldn't. You don't get connects back so withdrawing proposals is only worthwhile if you have second thoughts about a job you applied for. Upwork messaging occasionally goes awry, so it could be the client didn't get your messages, or they were offline during the weekend. Even if there are shenanigans involved, at least they're not stringing you along by going through the motions of having a discussion.

Thanks so much for your insight.  I've worked freelance for years but am new to this app so I'm justgetting used to the ins and outs.  For me, moving on meant sending the prospect a respectful message that I'd tried to connect and asking that they reach out to me if they wanted to talk.  I got a message today saying they were offline yesterday. We're set to talk tomorrow.  I'm staying hopeful.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members