🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is upwork in China working?
Page options
flmarija
Community Member

Is upwork in China working?

I have been contacted by a person from China asking to borrow my account and wanting to see my profile. The explanation was that they cannot use Upwork in China. Is this some kind of fraud? He/she asked to see my profile (profile url) and said that they could not use Upwork in China. 
I quote: 
**Edited for Community Guidelines**
Thanks.

60 REPLIES 60

Hi I have been contacted with the same story. The strange thing is that this person worked for me on Guru.com before. He has a very good reputation there and making a nice income.

Who should I contact about the scam, I tried Aleksandar D, but I got no respond for a few days now, so maybe he is working at Upwork anymore? Does anyone have a differend moderator who I could contact?

Hello, I am not sure but I think you should try the Upwork support or
perhaps 'report a scam' (or something like that) option.
Or maybe the Upwork user forum, smth. like that.
I cannot remember where I reported it...it was a long time ago.😉
I hope this helps you a bit.
All the best.

julian_287
Community Member

Hello, 

The same situation happened to me, they told me they would pay 150 dollars every month just for letting them use my account.

Hi,

Oh, just ignore or report. I was a bit confused the first time I saw it,
but I understood very fast that it was some kind of fraud and I wanted to
report it.
tomzilla1
Community Member

Upwork works in China, I can confirm it works when I was in China. You don't need a VPN either.

I'm not convinced the people who claim to be from China and claim that Upwork does not work in China are actually from China. If they are lying about Upwork not working in China, maybe they are also lying about being in China themselves.

Hi Tom

Just curious, I wondering how Chinese people using their Upwork, since gmail also get banned 

re: "I wondering how Chinese people using their Upwork, since gmail also get banned"

As far as we know, Upwork works just fine in China.

If China doesn't allow gmail, that has nothing to do with Upwork. One does not need gmail in order to use Upwork.

If China does decide to ban Upwork, or anything else, there is nothing that you or I can do about it.

"As far as we know, Upwork works just fine in China."

Re: the website works but it is too slow sometimes it doesn't load sometime it down
without vpn, We can't load upwork.com properly

re : "Re: the website works but it is too slow sometimes it doesn't load sometime it down without vpn, We can't load upwork.com properly"

Thank you for your first hand report about the conditions there.

What I take away from that is this: Upwork is not placing restrictions against China... but there are technical difficulties when it comes to using he site.

Are those difficulties widespread throughout the country? Or localized, specific to a particular town or ISP?

Are those difficulties purely due to inadequate or glitchy technical infrastructure? Or are these difficulties related to the overhead imposed by government monitoring activities - whether manual or automated?

More things that we don't know.

Obviously none of this changes the fact that is against Upwork's rules for an Upwork user to "rent" his freelancer account to another person, whether that person claims to live in China or Antarctica or anywhere else. For someone like myself, these questions about how well Upwork works in China are probably little more than a curiosity. But of course I can see how these things would be of significant importance to any Upwork user who actually lives in China.

Preston H wrote:

re : "Re: the website works but it is too slow sometimes it doesn't load sometime it down without vpn, We can't load upwork.com properly"

Thank you for your first hand report about the conditions there.

What I take away from that is this: Upwork is not placing restrictions against China... but there are technical difficulties when it comes to using he site.

Are those difficulties widespread throughout the country? Or localized, specific to a particular town or ISP?

Are those difficulties purely due to inadequate or glitchy technical infrastructure? Or are these difficulties related to the overhead imposed by government monitoring activities - whether manual or automated?

More things that we don't know.

Obviously none of this changes the fact that is against Upwork's rules for an Upwork user to "rent" his freelancer account to another person, whether that person claims to live in China or Antarctica or anywhere else. For someone like myself, these questions about how well Upwork works in China are probably little more than a curiosity. But of course I can see how these things would be of significant importance to any Upwork user who actually lives in China.

Yea, Upwork works in China (at least as of 2020). But any Google/FB services you'll have to use VPN. The slowness issue is an issue, and for me I think it's 2 things: distance, and the VPN you use. I used an American VPN service in China, and it was very unreliable. But no China have no reason to ban Upwork. Things China bans from my understanding: p*rn (messes up minds of children), graphic/grotesque, controversial/heresay that is designed to negatively impact or create a hostile environment in China. Everything else goes. Of course you can always get a VPN and overcome those bans.

danielfrodriguez
Community Member

Hello, I want to know the same as you... **Edited for Community Guidelines** contacted me and he asked me if I could borrow my account... is the same person that we are talking about?

It doesn't really matter what name they use.  They are scammers.  You will never see a penny, you will be permanently banned from working on Upwork.  Your online working reputation will be nothing.

Daniel R wrote:

Hello, I want to know the same as you... "ZhengXiang Lu" contacted me and he asked me if I could borrow my account... is the same person that we are talking about?

Hey, if you're seriously considering letting someone "borrow" your account, might you have any credit card accounts I could use? Mine don't seem to be working anymore.

My latest post disappeard, or I did something wrong.

Hi I have been contacted by a freelancer with the same story. The strange thing is that this person worked for me on Guru.com before. He has a very good reputation there and making a nice income.

Who should I contact about the scam, I tried Aleksandar D, but I got no respond for a few days now, so maybe he is working at Upwork anymore? Does anyone have a differend moderator who I could contact?

Hi Jasper,

Thank you for your message.

Please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs and working safely through Upwork. You can also read about Scam Preventions and how to report suspicious user activity. By doing so, it will send a notification to the relevant team to monitor the account and take the appropriate measures they deem necessary. You can also click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more information so I could forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action

We do appreciate your effort in keeping the integrity, safety, and quality of the Upwork Marketplace. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Pradeep H wrote:

Hi Jasper,

Thank you for your message.

Please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs and working safely through Upwork. You can also read about Scam Preventions and how to report suspicious user activity. By doing so, it will send a notification to the relevant team to monitor the account and take the appropriate measures they deem necessary. You can also click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more information so I could forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action

We do appreciate your effort in keeping the integrity, safety, and quality of the Upwork Marketplace. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Hello Pradeep,

Can you please remove my account, I do not need a freelance account but a client account. But my account is already blocked on your website, so I can not change or delete my own account.
Greetings Jasper

Hi Jasper,

Just to confirm, you would like your freelancer account (the one you're posting from) to be closed? On this account, you don't have a client profile at the moment. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Jasper,

Just to confirm, you would like your freelancer account (the one you're posting from) to be closed? On this account, you don't have a client profile at the moment. Thank you.

That is right, I want to close this account so I can open a client accoount.

Hi Jasper,

I checked your account and I can see that our team has alraedy reached out to you via ticket. Feel free to follow up on your ticket and our team will assist you further. You can access your tickets on this Link, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Jasper C wrote:

Does anyone have a differend moderator who I could contact?

There is no need to do anything. That person doesn't have an Upwork account currently and Upwork can't do anything about them outside of Upwork.

Just tell that person "No" and block them.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths