Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is upwork really worth it?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rai B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
1 of 23

I had some success with fixed jobs managing to avoid thiefs. Unfortunatly, agreeing to work a friday night for good money, the lady in question left 5 star feedback but did not pay. 4 hours of my life I will not see again.

I decided to do hourly work as we are 'protected'. I recieved a call from a third party to fill in papers to get paid which i did, 3 days ago... still waiting to get paid. Emailed them but nothing. So all those hours I put in seem to be wasted yet again.

My question is, is upwork really worth all this for such little money if you are lucky. Its very disheartning putting all your effort into a job for free. Im sure upwork get thier money of course.

Maybe I have been unlucky but I think I have made enough money for upwork for free. Im just sooooo glad I am now freelancing for an actual proper company and actually getting paid.

Im just sorry for my clients as I have to refuse to send them their work or finish it. They will surley be effected by this and look for alternatives. Of course my feedback will be bad but whats the point of feedback if its for no benefit?

Highlighted
Thanh V Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
2 of 23

Upwork should take full responsibility and action on this issue, we spend time, labour...and we deserve to be paid for.

All the cheaters should be in a black list and Upwork can remove them out as well as  prevent them from posting the work on this website.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 23

thing is, like any online tool, upwork has flaws. Serious flaws...

I feel that all the top freelancers, like myself Man Wink will slowly be gone. And all the good clients will follow suit.

Sadly I use upwork as need xtra cash like i think alot of people. Unfortunatly most of it actually backfires...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 23

Rai, how does somebody leave you 5-star feedback if they didn't pay you anything?

How could you fill out papers for somebody who called you on the phone and not realize something wasn't right?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 23

Answer to 1st question;

Because people are bad. No idea why, maybe she felt bad leaving negative feedback and not paying. But I assure you this happened. This was a fixed job so was aware of the risks. But its not good.

Answer to 2nd,

I live in Colombia and the any money coming into my account needs to go through a 3rd party for authorisation. I did it once before and got paid. Nether the less i have an account linked to my account and should get paid eitherway.

I was contacted by Transfast.com

Im sure you are defending the site as your right but its not all roses. There are people out there, good people, getting robbed. Maybe you live in happy land where the sun always shines?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 23

Rai, I asked questions about things that didn't make sense to me, and you answered those questions. I have no reason to doubt what you say happened. You clearly have experienced some thing here that most of us have not, though.

Everybody here has had some negative experiences, but you have had some unusual ones we don't routinely hear about.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 23

If it was fixed price why did you not have her fund the project before even starting? 

That's your protection.

Do you even know about the Escrow program?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 23

She did fund the money, I asked for this. But it goes into a holding area which needs to be confirmed.

The actual story was she started randomly contacting me just to say hello. Fine the first time but was odd after the 3rd. I told her I was getting creeped out and she withdrew the funds.

Escrow? No, cant say i do. All i know id fixed price jobs are a risk.

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
9 of 23

Rai - Sorry about your bad experience. Some people seem to have been grossly unfair to you. You, on the other hand, seem to have been a bit too trusting, failing to put available safeguards in place. As someone mentioned, there is the time tracker. As mentioned too, there is the escrow fund. Maybe if you read more of the information available on the site you may be able to protect yourself to a great extent against unscrupulous clients. Still, I know there are times we take calculated risks and they backfire - but that cannot be too often.

"... Im sure you are defending the site as your right but its not all roses. There are people out there, good people, getting robbed. Maybe you live in happy land where the sun always shines?"

And speaking of fairness, that quote you directed at Preston doesn't sound exactly fair. It is not clear where, in his response, he defends the site, or even any insinuation that contractors do not encounter unfair clients. I think someone hurt you so bad and Preston is getting the brunt of it...  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 23

Hi, thanks for your nice email.

Yes, too trusting is my problem. I have avoided fixed price jobs where the client has zero feedback.

As for my mild attack on Preston, yes, I have had some annoying experienced on upwork. But I have learnt who is a good client and who is not. Preston, I felt, appeared to be questioning my experiece and putting the blame at my door.

I do, however, fear for newbees to this site. They will also have to lean the hardway as I did.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS