Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is upwork really worth it?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 23

Rai, no feedback CAN be left on jobs where nothing was paid.

If you work an hourly job, using the tracker, the client is invoiced and charged automatically for the hours you worked.

Did you have proper contracts in place, on Upwork for both those projects? Are they in your "my contracts" tab?

Your profile is set to private so I can't check but you seem to be misunderstanding how the system works.

Did you expect those clients to pay you directly? Outside of Upwork?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rai B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
12 of 23

I left feedback as was paid the fixed price then it got removed. Seeing as i contacted the client directly upwork washed thier hands of the whole thing.

Cleints do ask to pay me outside of upwork but i always refuse.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
13 of 23

@Rai B wrote:

I decided to do hourly work as we are 'protected'. I recieved a call from a third party to fill in papers to get paid which i did, 3 days ago... still waiting to get paid. Emailed them but nothing. So all those hours I put in seem to be wasted yet again.

Rai, are you sure that you have logged time in Upwork tracker while working. If you have done so then your client is automatically billed and amount is paid to you. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 23

I do not understand why  someone would call you to fill in papers....to what purpose?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 23

@Irene B wrote:

I do not understand why  someone would call you to fill in papers....to what purpose?

There is a chance that some paperwork for inward international funds transfer had to be filled out due to money laundering andcrime prevention regulations in his country. Not all funds that come into a country are legitimately earned and I guess some countries like to know where such funds come from and what they were for.

Transfast are a payment processor a bit like PayPal or Western Union so clearly  chances are he was trying to be paid directly outside Upwork

What is unclear in this context is where those funds came from.

Was he paid by the client into his Upwork account and then withdrew, or was the client paying direct?

If, and it sounds like it, he was having agreements to paid outside Upwork, him coming to Upwork to complain that Upwork isn't protecting him when he was actually defrauding them would actually be really funny......

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 23

That's exactly what I was thinking!Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
17 of 23

Irene, as another 'Guru' please read my reply to the other 'Guru'. You should be helping honest people not judging them.

No idea what why you comment with a 'smily face'.

Here is an idea. Perhaps help people with ansers rather than 'LOL, Man Tongue.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
18 of 23

Petra, as a forum Guru I am a little suprised by your ignorance.

Upwork uses a 3rd party money transfer company to certify payment. Im now good for 6 months. After that time I will need to re-confirm my details.

Please do not judge me by others or perhaps your standards. I assure you I get paid through upwork.

What is 'funny' to you Petra is quite serious and I feel you should think before you speak and not abuse you position here as a 'guru'...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
19 of 23

Apparently every 6 months my details need to be logged with a 3rd party pay company the upwork actually uses. From now on, for 6 months, Im good and will be paid without paperwork. Its a legal thing i think who knows.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
20 of 23

Rai,

You might want to be more forth coming with information so that you can help other freelancers.

Haing worked (both)as a contractor and client on this plaform ( for fixed price jobs), I know that there are features called milestones/payments in escrow.

While it might not be impossible for dishonest people to 'work-around' the system , I am curious to know if you worked upfront before a milestone was  funded , or where you offered payment out of the platform ?

Do share.

NB- did you escalate to CS ?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS