cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is upwork using freelancers funds for personal entrust by holding funds with no logical reasons ?

Highlighted
Ali K Member Since: May 23, 2015
1 of 16

HI,

I just wanted to share my very first experiance with your guys that what upwork.com is actually doing and how they are treating with hard workers after getting work done well !

So where it started it call's Upwork Risk Managnement Team,

After successfull deliver my work to client he accepted the work and release funds from his side !

Upwork Risk Managment Team Emailed me and informed that they have put limitation on my account and there is some connection bitween my account and my client account ! which make me SHOCK !

Anyhow after some time release that my client which was forigner who run travel agency and this time came with some travelers to watch cricket matches in pakistan ! whome I met in internet cafe and introduce me upwork and we both agree to start working by upwork for both parties security, and he open his upwork ID on same system which i was using in the same internet cafe !

Anyhow for Upwork Risk Management Team assurance I not only explain the matter I also sent my bank Statement and Passport to assure my identity ! than I was asked to send them skype conversation screen shot and my other worked references which I priovided them.

Now what Upwork Risk Management Team is saying,

**edited for Community Guidelines**

And now reply them and asked,

I have tried many times to call **edited for Community Guidelines** but he is not attending my call and i don't know he is busy or an other reason for not attending my call.

BUT I HAVE A BIG QUESTION ! is this my fault if is not responding to you guys after getting work done and paid for my delivered work ?

You guys did not send me any evidence if he made a complaint or told you guys to hold my money where as he is not eligible to do that, cause he have paid for the work what he already get it done and well done !.

How can you guys hold my money please explain ? my work is done well and delivered to client and in return he paid, not any issue been made from his side as he said now what is the problem ? I confirmed from your support team before starting my work on UPWORK that if client not pay or not respond after delivering my work than what will happens ? they assure me that my funds are secured and i will get paid ! and now you guys making excuses even after verifying my identity and getting your own demanded stuff and now your excuses are unacceptable ! i am considering it blackmailing if my client do not reply to you and doing monopoly to use my funds for your personals for some time other wise you guys should have paid me that !

Please explain after delivering work in batter way and paid by client why i am not being paid where is my fault ? did i cheat ? where i cheat ? why my well done work money is not being paid ?

What i am started thinking now Upwork doing some kind of conspiracy and using our funds by hoding it with illogical excuses !

Is anyone there who can explain where is my fault if client get their work done well - accept it release funds and now if he is not replying or response to upwork ? why my don work payment is being hold ?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 16
Ali, unfortunately Upwork has no way of knowing at this point whether or not you are innocent and only APPEAR to be attempting a scam that has been perpetrated by other people in you country, or whether you actually are attempting to perpetrate the same scam.

Upwork never would have put these more stringent measures into effect had it not been for the large number of fraudulent contractors who actually did do what they now suspect you of doing. So the blame for your situation must be partially placed at the feet of the people whose actions prompted the creation of these security and anti-fraud measures.

I completely understand that if somebody has your money and doesn't release that money to you, you would be upset, but you should understand how incredibly rare it must be for two things to happen:

Not only:
1) You opened an Upwork account on the exact same day from the exact same location, maybe using exactly the same computer, as your first client

but also:

2) This client, with whom you were so friendly that you agreed to work together within hours of meeting each other, and who was so satisfied with your work on his project that he paid you promptly and gave you a great review, suddenly can't be bothered to confirm his identity to Upwork, thus jeopardizing his payment to you and your ability to do any future work for him.

Were I in your shoes, however many they may be, I, too, would be upset. I'm just trying to explain what Upwork's perspective and motives might be. We here in the community forum may believe you, but Upwork apparently is withholding that leap of faith until they see some evidence that your client is real.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 16

What is your clients website or travel agency name? What country is the travel agency located in? Surely you must have checked this out and emailed him ...not message through Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
4 of 16

Can somebody explain in very simple terms what he is supposed to have done? I'm intrigued, but couldn't make head nor tail of the original post.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
5 of 16

oDesk suspended his and his client's account because they think he opened a fake account.  So they think he created a fake client and gave job to himself. Both his and his client's account were opened the same day in the same internet cafe and his client went awol since then without verifying his identity.Also freelancer's  account is suspended and this money is withheld because he is suspended,

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 16

Aha, someone rich enough to have their own business and travel abroad to watch cricket, yet without their own laptop and are staying in a hotel without any form of internet access? Who then decided to go to an internet cafe, enter his personal details onto a public computer and show his profile to a complete stranger?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 16
re: "someone rich enough to have their own business and travel abroad to watch cricket,"

You may be overestimating the price of tickets to watch a Pakistani cricket match. It's not football, you know.
Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 16

I will put this down to your lack of knowledge of English social mores. Cricket is a game of gentlemen, it can therefore be assumed that anyone who follows cricket would have the means to stay in the most select places; probably with a manservant to do such distasteful proletarian tasks as logging on for him.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
9 of 16

I don't mean to be insensitive here and it's innocent until proven guilty but your story smells. So you met this stranger at a cafe, neither of you had Upwork accounts, but that day, right there in that cafe and on that same computer, you guys decided to create accounts, so you can carry out some work for him, and you both, while sitting together in person, decided to do it through Upwork, which again to that day neither of you have used, for security reasons. And now there seems to be some element of surprise that that somehow backfired. I feel for anyone who finds them under review, but as a daily user of this platform, I am glad that Upwork takes security and integrity of the user base seriously. And while your situation might be a true, very unfortunate one, I am sure you can appreciate that it raises a handful of red flags that could've been avoided, so now, you have to sit through it and wait.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
10 of 16

Travel agent verifies his payment method in internet caffe?